weird metal thermostat v6 4.0 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

weird metal thermostat v6 4.0 sohc

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 1998 4.0
So I'm looking for a metal thermostat housing and come across this weird one used on the ford 4.0 sohc in land rover lr3 with only 1 sensor, not a housing but some water outlet pipe from the head? at least its not plastic

4557904.jpg

http://new.lrcat.com/#!/12128/41216/42091/3283/42541

and here is the thermostat setup...situated at the bottom of the rad

_LR3_V6_Lower_Radiator_Hose_Thermostat_PEL500290-4.jpg

302ABHB.jpg

don't wanna pay 175 usd plus shipping plus import tax for the metal explorer thermostat housing one that's on fleabay

comments on a postcard....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a strange one. Looks to me like what you've got there is just a top half of the t-stat housing that would bolt down over the top of the thermostat. Can't explain why only one sensor...unless the other would be on the bottom half? But, it's not the top half of the t-stat housing that typically leaks on our trucks, anyway...so, don't see any real advantage to trying to make this work for you.

thanks for reply, yes that's what I thought it could be until I found where they put the thermostat which is on those rad pipes? so I'm thinking the top pic must bolt direct to the head instead of where the explorer bottom housing goes...cannot find any thermostat housing like on an explorer on the land rover catalogs

its even got a screw in sensor so don't have to do that push in sensor upgrade haha, unfortunately its missing one small water outlet for the HVAC heater hose that I guess is fed from some other configuration.....

Well...that makes more sense, I guess. The 12A648 is the ECT sensor. Wonder where the gauge sensor would reside?

thanks for your reply, I could buy that off ebay..
but as I am in Europe it will be 180 bucks plus 20 shipping plus 42 import tax
and wait 3 weeks, plus cost of new push in sensors more shipping more tax,
so over 350? no thanks

rover price 75 bucks no shipping no import tax no wait, I guess if I was in the
usa i'd still have a go at this mod as you guys have LR3's with this engine in
junk yards? and even cheaper! woohoo

dunno where the sender is, maybe I can fit it somewhere else? I read somewhere it was an option not to have it?

I can T off the Hvac and put the sender on something like this?

MIO-MMWHS-38-BK_xl.jpg

I have used one of those on my 240sx! It worked phenomenally. Only issue I ran into was the threaded part was also coated, I ran a tap up adn down it many times to get it to bare metal and teh sensor threaded in perfectly and bottomed out. Only recommendation I have for that.

thanks for your reply.

I am going to do this just need to work out where I can T off a supply for the HVAC and where I can put an inline thermostat. I don't really understand how the water thermostat works, I mean which line it controls, it doesn't stop all the water does it? some line like the HVAC is not controlled by the thermostat? any advice is appreciated. just trying to figure out how I could use this. also not sure if those pipes are facing in the right direction...

but I like the idea of having the thermostat in an easier place to access

Back