Weird rubbing sound when turn the steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird rubbing sound when turn the steering wheel

ssMichaelss

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Recently I just noticed weird sound when turn the steering wheel. I thought it was from outside but seems from inside. I recorded a video. Does anyone know what’s the issue? Please ignore my heavy breath sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several threads on "creaking" noises. Here is a post that is somewhat like yours. However, no follow-up was ever posted.
There are some that mentioned replacing the clockspring helped but I'm not sure if that could be your issue since I don't know what a faulty one is supposed to sound like.

Peter

They will usually get a dry spot and creak.

Inside of the wheel. The thing that allows you to turn your wheel multiple times but not break all those wires going to wheel buttons.

Recently I just noticed weird sound when turn the steering wheel. I thought it was from outside but seems from inside. I recorded a video. Does anyone know what’s the issue? Please ignore my heavy breath sound.

Where the steering shaft goes through the firewall there is a rubber boot. Spray it will silicone see if it goes away. It did on our 16 a few weeks ago.

Inside of the wheel. The thing that allows you to turn your wheel multiple times but not break all those wires going to wheel buttons.
Got called from dealership. Steering shaft caused the issue and doesn’t covered under the extended warranty because noisy doesn’t covered under the warranty. It will cost over 700 to replace it including 150 diagnostic fee.

If it’s just noisy, try lubing the joint. If it’s not a warranty coverage surely don’t let the dealer fix it.

If it’s just noisy, try lubing the joint. If it’s not a warranty coverage surely don’t let the dealer fix it.
Yeah I need to confirm with service advisor if just noisy issue. I still need to pay 150 diagnostic fee tho :(

Where the steering shaft goes through the firewall there is a rubber boot. Spray it will silicone see if it goes away. It did on our 16 a few weeks ago.
This is behind the panel underneath the steering wheel. Right?

Where the steer shaft goes through the firewall. I’d send a pic buck the mini bus is 200 miles away right now
72E7470E-8EF6-4528-A98E-A11EDEA10CC2.jpeg

I took a pic. Is this the spot where you sprayed? I sprayed some silicone but it still makes sound. But I haven’t drove the car yet. Did it work for you right away?

It looks to me like the joint would be under that boot.

Yes that and I used a pick to pull that rubber boot back to get in there very good
I sprayed the one I circled in red and the black rubber at bottom. I will try to see if I can push it down to spray. Thanks!!!

Pop that bottom clamp off with a small pair of channel locks, or pliers and spray what’s under there.

Back