• Register Today It's free!

Weird Sound i need help.

Vinaell

Reaction score
City, State
surprise arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
Ok im going to try to be as descriptive as i can. First off the sound comes from underneath it happens when my Rpms drop lower then about 1300 so usually when im slowing down in any gear. But its a sound like ziiiinnnnngg like a nut spinning really fast on a bolt. but if i keep my rpms over 1500 or shift to neautral to stop. And the weird part is it that it happens after driving for awhile. it wont happen if i drive to the store. I have to be driving for awhile before it starts happpening

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fluid level in the transmission

Checked it and its good.

Usually those no good noises end up being the transfer case...slight chance it could be the culprit...or are you just hearing a lousy servo motor?

Well, if the descriptor to the left is right, I'm going to agree with 1992FordGreen. Probably to do with the transfercase/drivetrain in some way. Engines don't make that noise, but transmissions will.
Try flushing the trans fluid and putting in a new tranny filter? It could be clogged and keeping fluid from getting into the transfercases or torque converters. I'm no ace mechanic, but are worth a shot.

Back