• Register Today It's free!

Wet Distributor

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I can't remember the name of the product, but I put this grease on my battery terminals that prevented it from corroding.

I soaked my distributor the other day, and it was extremely unhappy. My question is:
Is there any reason why i couldnt put grease on my distributor? in order to prevent water from making it angry.

also, I am under the impression that there are two types of distributors a mechanical and an electrical one. The mechanical one uses a gear to regularly fire the plugs, while the electric one does not. Is this correct? (my 92 Ex would use the electric one right?)and what is the proper terminology for the two? or are they both referred to as distributors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't believe the 92 has a distributor, it has a coil pack

and the product you're referring to is di-electric grease, should be in your permatex box at the auto parts store

i don't believe the 92 has a distributor, it has a coil pack

and the product you're referring to is di-electric grease, should be in your permatex box at the auto parts store

so what is a coil pack vs a distributor?

all 6 cylinders are powered by one coil, and the timing is controlled by the computer.

with a distributor, the coil goes to the distributor, then the charge goes to the plugs using a rotor, and the timing is controlled by adjusting the distributor left and right.

correct.. a coil pack is like haveing a gearless distributor controled by the pcm that knows when to send the spark and adjusts for timeing automaticly.

Back