What are the white lights on either side of the roof brake light for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the white lights on either side of the roof brake light for?

cramcram

Reaction score
City, State
Los Gatos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I've got a 2001 Sport Trac. Had to replace the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light) today. I never had really noticed the white lights on either side of the brake light before so I decided to test them as well.

The two white lights won't come on. Even if the car is in reverse (the tail mount reverse lights do work) and the park/headlights are on.

Is there a hidden switch for these lights or do I have a blown fuse/wire somewhere?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are work lights, they turn on when you open the door so you can see in the bed at night.

Aka cargo lights

They also should come on with vehicle off, doors unlocked (turn on and off with the interior lighting).

aux lights

They would be a lot more help if they were white LEDs :p instead of the dull halogen color...

Recon makes a L.E.D. Third brake light for our trucks.

They are work lights, they turn on when you open the door so you can see in the bed at night.

Your '03 may be different than my '02 in that function. My cargo lamps do not come on when you open the door, even with the parking/head lights on. Mine only come on when you manually activate the interior lamps. On the F150's I've owned they did come on when the door was opened though. I prefer to have to manually activate them.

Your '03 may be different than my '02 in that function. My cargo lamps do not come on when you open the door, even with the parking/head lights on. Mine only come on when you manually activate the interior lamps. On the F150's I've owned they did come on when the door was opened though. I prefer to have to manually activate them.

We have a winner. Yes, on my truck they come on only if the dimmer switch is rolled all the way to the detent that turns on the interior lamps.

I've had that vehicle for 10 years and never noticed they were there. They'll come in handy the next time I load stuff in the dark.

Thanks to all.

On my '03 theycome on when the door is opened.

Back