what fords have an 8.8 w/3:73dsc brks and posi | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what fords have an 8.8 w/3:73dsc brks and posi

shane S

Reaction score
City, State
Evergreen park il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 edie bauer
what year explorer has an 8.8 rear with disc brakes 3:73 gear and track loc or some sort of stock locker?
I hope you can help a fello wheeler out here it is for a jeep axle swap (jeeps dana 35c is junk)
also what are the 8.8 shortcomings do they seem to have a weak link or are they just well built ?
Thanks Shane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96 and up should have what your looking for. Axle code D4 for what you want 3.73 with a trac loc. There is an option on the Sports for 4.10's also. Don't know if it has the trac loc or not. The weak spots that I know of are the spider gears when installing an old style ARB. They tend to be on the weaker side and when you get on it and your axle is spooled up sometimes they will break and you will have a full time spool till they are fixed. Other then that I am not to sure. I would recomend going over to http://www.pirate4x4.com and doing a search on the 8.8 axle conversion over there on their bulliten board. It has been discussed at great lenght over there and there are a few people running that same setup in their jeeps over there.

I might add that the weak spot is the old-style ARB, not the 8.8. The axle should be pretty stout under a Jeep if it comes from an Explorer. The Explorer uses the 31 spline axle shafts which are a bit thicker than the 28 spline shafts that are more common on Mustangs and Rangers.

If your friend wants to stick with the factory limited slip, he should at least get a rebuild kit for it. They wear out somewhat quickly, but the rebuild kits aren't very expensive and can be installed pretty easily.

thanks for the info
do you think my wife would notice if I take hers?
he he he

Well, I was looking at the Saleen website, and noticed that their mustangs w/ 500+ HP and 500+ ft/lbs of torque have the 8.8 rear, so I would have to say that these things are pretty stout to be able to handle that much HP and torque.

I was just looking at my wifes explorer it's a 97 sport w/ control trac there is a wire coming from the rear diff what is that for?
Also where do I find the axle code that your talking about? if it's a tag on the diff cover the best I can make of it is
S615C R
4 L 10 8807825

Not sure about the wire, it may have something to so with the auto 4wd. The axle code is located on the drivers side door under axle I believe.

Originally posted by shane S
I was just looking at my wifes explorer it's a 97 sport w/ control trac there is a wire coming from the rear diff what is that for?

The wire on the rear diff is for the ABS sensor.

Also where do I find the axle code that your talking about? if it's a tag on the diff cover the best I can make of it is
S615C R
4 L 10 8807825

4 L 10 = 4.10 ratio, limited slip

Back