What is the difference? Explain 4WD (97 Limited SOHC) and AWD (96 Limited V8) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the difference? Explain 4WD (97 Limited SOHC) and AWD (96 Limited V8)

cloud2or3

Reaction score
City, State
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited SOHC
I've got the 97, and my sister in law has the 96.

I recently had to have my 97 towed and I didnt know if it was front wheel drive or rear wheel drive or always on 4WD, partially on, etc. He ended up towing from the front and putting the rear wheel on a dolly of sorts. This turned the tow from $70 to $100. But I didnt know what my truck had...

I've only had it for a year, but suppose I should know how my truck works haha.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

v8 trucks had AWD, and AWD only. all v6 trucks were "select track) 4x4. even easier, if you have a button on your dash that says "4 auto, 4 hi, 4 low" you dont have AWD

He ended up towing from the front and putting the rear wheel on a dolly of sorts. This turned the tow from $70 to $100. But I didnt know what my truck had...

Or you could read the manual, where they talk about towing with the car on a full patform. Even for 2WD, they don't allow rear wheels on road while towing (it could be towed only backwards).
In my manual that is at page 206.
But... who cares about the stupid manual? Probably you when your driveline breaks latter.

v8 trucks had AWD, and AWD only. all v6 trucks were "select track) 4x4. even easier, if you have a button on your dash that says "4 auto, 4 hi, 4 low" you dont have AWD

I think it was called "Control Trac"...

Perhaps I wasn't clear on what I was asking about... my bad. I did a little digging and found some very helpful information here > http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ford-explorer3.htm

To summarize what I read...

RE the V8:
The AWD, which lacked low-range gearing, normally divided engine power 35/65 percent front/rear but could reapportion power to either axle as needed to restore traction.

RE the V6 SOHC:
"Auto 4WD" mode with a 10/90 percent front/rear power split and a separate four-wheel High mode for locking in a 50/50 ratio. Separate low-range gearing continued, as did the ability to use four-wheel High on dry pavement.

So it looks like my 4WD on my SOHC is still a type of AWD just at a significantly more drastic ratio, almost full RWD. But it also appears that you cant actually turn it off, so I guess it was still a good call to put it on the dolly wheels when towed.

I hope this info helps others... Cheers!

All that really matters is that the AWD's transfer case is bullittproof just like the 5.0 motor and that control track box and sohc engine belong in a garbage pail.

YMMV

All that really matters is that the AWD's transfer case is bullittproof just like the 5.0 motor and that control track box and sohc engine belong in a garbage pail.

YMMV

Thanks for this extremely helpful conclusion > haha. Thats a big garbage pail...

Ive got 241ooo kms on my SOHC and its still running strong. The V8 is meatier for sure, but I find the SOHC funner / peppier to drive.

Proper proactive maintenance is key for any vehicle.

Back