WHAT SIZE SPEAKERS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WHAT SIZE SPEAKERS?

jssong

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
i want to put in a new system, but does anyone know the dimensions of the stock speakers both in the front and rear door panels? and does anyone know what size speakers i can put in? because i want to put in 6 inch speakers in the rear, wtih 6 inch components for the front, but im not sure if they are going to fit.

Has anyone tried putting in a sub where the factory sub is for X's with the jbl system? how big of a sub can you fit in there? i was thinkin of putting in a 12, think it will fit??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock speaker openings in the front and rear doors will accomodate 5x7s or 6x8s. About the sub, many here have the JL Stealthbox, of the MTX version of it in the stock subs location. Still others have built their own custom sub enclosure to go there. Though I am pretty sure that all you are going to be able to get there is a 10, not a 12. Good luck with the upgrades!

6.5s will fit in the truck, but it won't be a smooth fit. It'll end up with the screws fitting in two of the four possible holes. That's about it. If you have a sport, then it's a really close call on the rear, depending on the actual outer diameter of the basket. I have 6.5s, but I had to cut the top part of the rear speaker covers a bit. The rear speaker covers sort of slip in the hole, but I had to clip out a little of the middle part that slips in to go around the top of the speaker. Nothing shows though.

6.5s will fit in the front, but in order to do so, you'll need to make a mounting plate. I made mine out of MDF and they fit no problem. I don't know about the back doors though; I don't run any speakers back there.

peace

Mike

Back