What size tool fits font spindle lock nut, 94 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size tool fits font spindle lock nut, 94 EB

tycoonmonsoon

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer EB
I just bought a manual locking hub conversion kit and I'm trying to tool up for the job. Now I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what tool size I'm needing for the spindle lock nut. I would really appreciate a factual answer. Thanks!

1994 Ford Explorer E.B. 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the manual hubs, I believe you need a Powerbuilt (648473) 4-lug -- 2 3/4 inch socket. But maybe someone else might want to chime in...

d9932f7e-9ee1-4a65-ae52-c283c31012ee.jpg

Does it have this style spindle nut?

According to the manuals I've seen the stock is a hex nut. Just not sure what size. After market is the keyed socket. I've not torn into it yet Because I don't want to tear down my rig and get stuck because I don't have the right tool.

According to the manuals I've seen the stock is a hex nut. Just not sure what size. After market is the keyed socket. I've not torn into it yet Because I don't want to tear down my rig and get stuck because I don't have the right tool.

IIRC 2 3/8" is the socket size for the stock nut but if your swapping to manuals just use a punch and hammer (after you take out the key) to get the old one off.

For the new 4 prong style nut used in a manual conversion just look for the socket used on the dana 44. Its the same size and more places "list" dana 44 than dana 35.

~Mark

The one in the pic is for the d44 made by AmPro with the part number.

Glad I found this. I have the socket that slips off (all four prongs on top of the socket) every time I try to use it and I have been looking for the other socket that won't slip off (the four prongs inside the socket). Does the ampro style socket have the prongs inside?

Give me a minute, I'll go out and check.

Yes the socket has the prongs on the inside. The part that goes over the spindle is perfectly round and nothing protruding out. You have to look on the inside to see the prongs.
Could take pic if you like.

Ok, I need to get this socket before I put everything back together.

Back