What the hell is...? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What the hell is...?

Im curious also, I just had my 4.0 OHV changed out in my 94 Limited. My cruise worked fine before and now it does not work..is there a high resolution pic of the vaccume line arangement on a 94 Limited with a 4.0 , or anyone hazzard a guess what it might be ??

Dwight P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mbrooks420 said:
Looks like it is 5 over from the right on the top line of text.

Im going to take a closer look when I leave this AM, I compared the diagram to the pics I took, and I see where its supposed to be, but there looks to be wire bundles in the way.

sparky2263 said:
Correct. His would be Baro only, no vacuum line. The 91 doesn't hook a vacuum line to the Baro (although they are the same sensor) as it gets its fuel calculations from the MAF.

I'm wondering if the rougher idle and accel. is due to a dirty/contaminated MAF sensor.

Sparky, Im currently in the process of trying to find that "denatured alcohol" to clean it.. but Im having no luck finding such a thing.. is there any other confirmed safe way to clean it? (I pulled a few MAS's off junkyard trucks for testing, but I'd rather not ruin them trying to get the right cleaning liquid :) )

I use carb. clean to get the gunk off. Couple of people have spoken against that and recommended electrical contact cleaner. Either is avail. at the parts store. Contact cleaner is also at Radio Shack.

TNR, denatured alcohol is just grain alcohol with a little petroleum mixed in so that people puke if they drink it, puts it in a different tax bracket. I use the aerosol contact cleaner works well.

savagefan said:
TNR, denatured alcohol is just grain alcohol with a little petroleum mixed in so that people puke if they drink it, puts it in a different tax bracket. I use the aerosol contact cleaner works well.

I've got a bottle of Absolout hanging around in the freezer, does that mean I could use that, or am I just being stupid?

actually

P.G.A. would be much better for cleaning, or acetone....unless there is plastic involved......acetone will "eat" most plastics.

Will seafoam work?

For cleaning the MAS?

Attachments

• mas.jpg
    mas.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 185

410Fortune said:
the MAP sensor would be mounted on the firewall just to the right of the vacuum canister if I remember right. Is there an electrical connection anywhere you can see for this sucker?

410, I did some digging into the wirelooms around that area and did find a connector, perhaps thats the one....

If it is, should I find a MAP unit right away, or is it not that critical?

Pdwight said:
P.G.A. would be much better for cleaning, or acetone....unless there is plastic involved......acetone will "eat" most plastics.
PGA?

Pure Grain Alcohol or "Everclear" 190 proff and it makes good Christmas Punch as well.

Dwight P

Pdwight said:
Pure Grain Alcohol or "Everclear" 190 proff and it makes good Christmas Punch as well.

Dwight P

Oh.. lol
I was hoping someone could suggest something I could actually find and buy.
I tried the contact cleaner, made no diff. SO.... Absolut? Seafoam? Y/N on those two??

I used distilled water. Purchased at Walgreens. The sensor deals with a certain amount of moisture anyway and I used a turky baster to "spray" the sensor off. You can't use tap water because of the lime deposits it would leave. Distilled water doesn't have that issue. Then I dried it off with a hair dryer on low heat so as not to damage it. Works perfectly now.

Any real hardware store should have denatured alcohol.

You have to ask for denatured alcohol at some places.

Here in Alabama you can walk into a Lowes or Home Depot and buy it by the gallon or by the quart...its in the paint section. You can also get Acetone and MEK ( Methyl Ethyl Keytone) which is much nastier stuff the same way.

Dwight P

Back