• Register Today It's free!

What to expect MPG?

95xltthumper

Reaction score
City, State
dade city fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
hello everyone, I am new here. I have a 95 explorer xlt with the 4.0 v-6, i have been getting about 12-15 mpg average. i have had the truck for only 3 months. since i got it it had a nasty misfire and very little power. i have replaced the belt, tensioner, thermostat, plugs, and wires. the misfire is gone and its like a new truck. my question is, what should i expect now for MPG?

thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty much what you are getting, this is a 4liter 6 cylinder in a 4k lb truck.

with out a tow package you should have a 3.55 rear which will get a little better mileage then the 4x4 but your around what it gets.

pretty much what you are getting.

really, even after correcting the nasty misfire? wow, im surprised. all 6 plugs were eroded badly and the gap on all was near .2" yes .2 not .02.

thanks for the info

Well, not sure if that's bad or good, considering you had a misfire, how long did it run with the misfire? Do you floor it alot (like going over 3k rpms)? You will get better gas mileage if you try to stay under 2k rpms. Have you heard of some stuff called Seafoam, its a internal engine cleaner, if you go to YouTube, and search Seafoam, it will show you alot of what it can do. It will basically clean up some-alot of the gunk/carbon that is holding your engine back from better mpg and performance. I actually just pour half the bottle/can in the gas tank ,and use the rest of the bottle for the intake. I also use Seafoam DeepCreep, basicly the same stuff, but stronger and in a spray bottle/can

1995 XLT should have a 3:73 limited slip rearend, and with 235 75 15 tires 20 mpg is a reality, i had that all of that on my 96 and that is what i got.

well it all depends on how you drive on here people have gotten anything from 8mpg to 30mpg out of these trucks

On my V8 I have an average of 16.5mpg right now. That is highway-town miles 50-50.
Instantaneous milage on highway (no A/C yet) is 19mpg at 60mph, 18mpg at 70-75mph, 23mpg drafting behing a big rig.
In town I get 0mpg at a red stoplight and... enything in between, depending of the traffic si your milage migh vary :D.
My spark plugs are Autolite XP104 (Iridium fine tip). Original wires. 102k miles.

Well, not sure if that's bad or good, considering you had a misfire, how long did it run with the misfire? Do you floor it alot (like going over 3k rpms)?

yeah, the mis was pretty bad. its had the mis since i got it 3 months ago. to get up to speed in a decent amount of time heavy acceleration was required. i also had to run it with the O/D off even at speeds of 55-60mph due to bad shimmys and shakes and holding 70 on the interstate was a challenge. I just changed the plugs and wires this morning so i havent had much wheel time since, just a quick test drive to see if it solved the problem. its like driving another truck now. from a rolling start >2mph it will leave a 12ft black mark. hopefully running right i will be able to keep it under 2500 rpm now.

thanks for the info. i hope to learn as much as i can.

16-19mpg

Snowball with the same setup was getting 12-17 depending on the weather, temp, and amount of highway mileage. Mixed driving seemed to always be in the 14-ish range.

16 - 18 mpg town driving

20 - 22 mpg highway driving

150,000 original miles, 4.0L, Auto, 15" Wranglers, Valvoline oil, Sinclair gasoline (No BP, Caseys, HyVee or Walmart gas or deduct 3-4 mpg each usage), change plugs/fuel filter every year, oil/filter changes every 3000 miles at most, air cleaner when dirty, tranny maintenance yearly.....................

i have a 97 xlt with a stick and 4wd and my last tank was 23.4mpg mostly highway but i get about 18 city with a open 3.55 rearend

97 SOHC w/ towing pack, 17 to 22 MPG.

Is anyone still adding acetone to the gas tank?

I remember people were using acetone in the gas tank to increase their gas mileage? I believe we were using 2-4 oz. per 10 gallons...I always found that 2 oz. worked best for my truck...I used to do that myself and I was seeing around 23-25 mpg but I am seeing 19-23 mpg, depending on more city or more highway driving without acetone...

I remember people were using acetone in the gas tank to increase their gas mileage? I believe we were using 2-4 oz. per 10 gallons...I always found that 2 oz. worked best for my truck...I used to do that myself and I was seeing around 23-25 mpg but I am seeing 19-23 mpg, depending on more city or more highway driving without acetone...
I guess that is debatable and at best depends of a lot of variables, including the brand of gasoline you use:
http://neubranderinc.com/blog/2007/01/03/acetone-in-gasoline-busted/
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
I don't know what acetone will do to the gaskets in the fuel path. True, a lot of gas "additives" on market have exactly that in composition.

loggers estimates are pretty much in line with what I get on my 03 ST, but I do hypermile too when I'm commuting to work (90 miles round trip 4 days a week), and when I do that I see at least 27 mpg freeway easily, about 18 city.

Looks like the guys above, with K&N filters, are doing better in the mpg department? Or is just a coincidence?

14 mpg with 31's and 3.73 gears

I had K&N's on a few of my cars and noticed no difference, I don't spend money on them anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1999 Ford Explorer 4 door 4.0 SOHC. 17 to 28mpg ( old explorer )

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door 4.0 OHV. Averaging 20, and seen as good as 30.

I'm a delivery guy so fuel economy is something I pay close attention to. To prove I'm not over exaggerating, my dads 2002 F-150 5.4 that was my daily driver for a couple months saw 12 on a good day, and averaged about 9.

Back