What to look for when checking out a 97 Explorer Limited? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to look for when checking out a 97 Explorer Limited?

kicknbak

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger 4x4 Ext Cab
Howdy - I'm going to look at 97 Explorer AWD 5.0 125,000 miles, autotrans, tomorrow. Looks great in the pic's, and the owner says it's in really good condition. Asking price is $2750. What are some of the better know problems these trucks are known for having? What would you be checkin out if you were lookin at this truck?

I've just read a cool thread that covers AWD vs 4x4. My wife and daughter will be driving this truck so the point and shoot of AWD seems like a good option. No plans to use it for serious off roading.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the one thing that comes to my mind is the blend door actuator, which controls how much hot or cool air that comes into the truck. they are known to give out, and are not the most funniest of things to change. the 5L is the better motor of the three so your off to a good start.

coolant leak at the timing cover just had to do mine,mine was leaking on top right side...drive it if you can get it good and warm then let it sit for a few min mine would really start leaking after about 15min that repair was not too bad to do my son works for a shop and we did timing set-gasket set-water pump-tstat and couple hoses--oil-filter and anti freeze less than 200 and about 6 hrs start to finish
Also look at the spark plugs to see if they have ever been replaced when I bought my x it had never had the plugs replace they were rusted in place and were a real nightmare to get out

Nice call, wasn't really thinkin about that one. Been readin about that it recently. Got an 02 Taurus that's blowing lukewarm air.

I did some reading on the motors. Said the first 4.0 had no pickup. I recently drove one and it didn't. Got it up to 60 and punched it and nothing. What's the buzz on the 4.0 SOHC motor? Any better pick up?

the one thing that comes to my mind is the blend door actuator, which controls how much hot or cool air that comes into the truck. they are known to give out, and are not the most funniest of things to change. the 5L is the better motor of the three so your off to a good start.

Nice tip on the plugs, I hope they've changed them, trucks 14 years old, LOL.

coolant leak at the timing cover just had to do mine,mine was leaking on top right side...drive it if you can get it good and warm then let it sit for a few min mine would really start leaking after about 15min that repair was not too bad to do my son works for a shop and we did timing set-gasket set-water pump-tstat and couple hoses--oil-filter and anti freeze less than 200 and about 6 hrs start to finish
Also look at the spark plugs to see if they have ever been replaced when I bought my x it had never had the plugs replace they were rusted in place and were a real nightmare to get out

its not to bad with mine (though modded) i can get from about 70 to 85-90 pretty quick although ive never timed it. But hands down the 5.0 awd is much better than the sohc or the ohc 4.0's.

I just bought my one-owner '98 5.0L AWD XLT Loaded three weeks ago with 170k on it. It had brand new tires, new battery and new radiator. After going through it thoroughly, I've replaced the plugs, wires, front wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, CV axles, shocks, front brakes and rotors. I paid $2400 for it and have invested another $600 in parts. Nothing had failed, but there was a noticeable growling noise and a vibration at 60.

As you may see on this forum, there are a number of very well written how-to's. As it happened, all of the aforementioned items are right there and easily accessible at one time. In other words, the labor in getting to them is all the same so the incremental cost is well worth it. There are countless threads on here that detail the life expectancy of these parts and at 170k, I was at or past the point of needing replacement without any documentation of prior replacement. I chose to do all of it for peace of mind. EVERYTHING expect brakes in that list was original on my Explorer, so it was well justified. The difference in ride and handling is amazing. I'll be doing the front and rear driveshaft u-joints this week.

The other issues I have/had are the front left o2 sensor throwing the occasional code, radio display being blank, the driver's door lock knob sticking in the up position and some minor weakening in the driver's seat cushion. Fixes on those are in the works as well.

Overall, these Explorers are very easy to work on, very reliable when maintained and there is an abundance of very reasonably priced replacement parts. My Explorer sold for $33K new. With my repairs, I have less than 10% of that in it. This is our "spare" third vehicle and we now drive it everywhere.

You can't get hurt buying for the price you indicated. It's worth more than that in scrap and salvage.

I did some reading on the motors. Said the first 4.0 had no pickup. I recently drove one and it didn't. Got it up to 60 and punched it and nothing. What's the buzz on the 4.0 SOHC motor? Any better pick up?

this is my opinion on the motors. the v6 ohv, they are almost unkillable, but they do lack in power. the v6 sohc, have lots of get up and go. supposedly comparable even to the 5L motors, BUT they are ticking time bombs with the timing chain problems (earlier versions of them at least). as for the 5L, they have lots of power, and durability. also, some parts do interchange with mustang 5L motors. SOME parts, not all. you can also tinker with them more as well, they are more supported by the aftermarket, and a very easy motor to maintain.

The blank radio display is very common. A window that wont go up or down (broken wire at drivers door usually) regardless of window location. Sagging rear end. All are easy fixes and detailed here.

Nice tip on the plugs, I hope they've changed them, trucks 14 years old, LOL.

Don't be so sure, especially at 125k. ;)

Suspension also- the air ride stuff needs to be checked. All said, I think it should be a $2,200 truck max if it's super clean. It is still 14, soon to be 15 years old, the miles don't matter at this point.

Back