whats involved in swapping 4.0 sohc with 4.ohv? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats involved in swapping 4.0 sohc with 4.ohv?

fordsterr

Reaction score
City, State
anchorage, ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer
Hello,
I'm a newbie. I have 00 ford explorer Eddie Bauer edition 4.0 sohc that's done. I want to swap a 4.0 ohv into but don't know if it's possible or worth the effort. Please let me know what all has to be done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a newer 4.0 sohc from a trashed mustang and swap it in. Way easier, inexpensive, and the newer ones are reasonably reliable.

you can just swap different stuff like the intake manifold, and exhaust over to the new motor. I really don't know about the oil pan though. Im guessing its the same.

I got the whole 99 for$100 it still runs and drives but was rolled over. That's why I wanted to know if I could swap motor and trans from 99 it only has 92,000 miles and the 00 has over 275,000. I honestly don't know anything about specifics on these 4.0 motors so I'm clueless. Thank you for replying

You could go ohv.
Your concerns are swapping over the ecm, and working out the pats system.

Are you swapping a 99 in to a 99? You also have to think about fuel system. Hopefully they are both returnless.

The transmission will bolt right up.

Sorry, I didn't know you already had a donor.

I have not done a swap myself, only read about guys that have done it. Its not all that common.

I'll have to check the to see about fuel. Is there an easy way to tell? I figured the ecm, wiring harness and ignition with matching key. What's the PATS?

returnless fuel system

Both the 1999 and the 2000 should have returnless fuel systems - a fuel pressure damper on the fuel rail instead of a fuel pressure regulator which is in the tank. See this post: What's that on the fuel rail?

PATS is passive anti-theft system. It will probably be your biggest problem in performing the engine swap. Fortunately you have an entire donor to remove everything needed but the swap will be a lot of work for an engine with less performance but probably better reliability as long as it never overheats. I suggest using the OHV engine wiring harness with the OHV engine since there may be some sensor differences. Also, you'll have to use the OHV exhaust manifolds which may not bolt up to the existing downpipes. I doubt there are many (if any) body to engine wiring changes from 1999 to 2000 like there were between 1998 and 1999.

For PATS there are multiple items that must be compatible: PCM, keys, transmitter, etc. that few people (not me) are knowledgeable about. If everything doesn't match the PCM disables the fuel pump and the fuel injectors.

Back