When to replace differential? Man.Tranny pcm to automatic tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When to replace differential? Man.Tranny pcm to automatic tranny?

clawhn1

Reaction score
City, State
Katy TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 v8 and 93 xlt
my transmission is slipping between nearly all gears, its been at the tranny shop for 3 weeks and they cant figure out whats wrong

i have gone to large tires for 3 months, but went back to small regular size tires about 1 week before my tranny aparrently blew up from a flush and torque flush

but, is this slipping from maybe the gears in differential. i have a 308 gear with automatic 93 2wd explorer

im thinking 373 gear but maybe its just tranny clutches or soleniods

also, i had the pcm replaced since i ruined it by cleaning maf senors harnesses while battery was hooked

it kept shorting my maf, so i have to replace pcm

problem is, if they used a a pcm from a manual tranny , could it be causing these slipping problems in my automatic?

but, is this slipping from maybe the gears in differential.
Doubtful. When differentials "slip" it's because something has sheared off. It normally wouldn't be intermittent, and it should be pretty obvious to someone who works in a tranny shop.

i had the pcm replaced since i ruined it by cleaning maf senors harnesses while battery was hooked it kept shorting my maf, so i have to replace pcm problem is, if they used a a pcm from a manual tranny , could it be causing these slipping problems in my automatic?
Not on a '93. The PCM only controls the upshift from 3rd to 4th gear and the torque converter lockup clutch. With a manual transmission computer, the transmission would shift like a traditional 3 speed transmission. Where you describe it as slipping in all gears, that's not going to be related to the PCM or other electronics -- that's purely mechanical/hydraulic.

Back