where is the computer located?

haktmal

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV
Hi,
I bought the Apten chip from Brian and I don't know where is our computer located in order for me to install the chip. I have a 98 OHV 4.0. Can anyone help me plesae?

Thanks much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in the first gen xplorers, its mounted on the inside of the kick panel by the front passenger's right foot. in later explorer's i beleive its mounted in the firewall. look on your firewall for a relitively large rectangular wiring harness, it should be there

My '99s computer is on the passenger side of the engine coparment on the firewall

it's under the hood, above the engine in the passenger side. Here's a pic:

explorerEEC.jpg

Thank Brian. It's installed. But I also have an issue with the chip after installing and I don't know is it normal operation or not.

When I hard-press accellerate on first gear, the truck tends to pull back as if I've switched to 2nd gear. Then I slowly engage to 2nd gear and hard-press the gas pedal. The truck accellerates then hugs back as if I've switched to 3rd gear. The issue is that it doesn't jump as anticipated when I hard-press the gas pedal. If I slowly accellerate, then it is alright. Should it take a while to break in? How long?

Please reply, I also sent this to your email at explorerforum.

Nathan

Back