where to buy abs or mdf for a speaker adapter plate?????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where to buy abs or mdf for a speaker adapter plate??????

bnichols04

Reaction score
City, State
ypsilanti, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger XLT
I need to make an adapter plate for my speaker hole. I keep blowing up my 6x8 and I need a round speaker because it doesn't blow up as easy. Where can I get a sheet of MDF or ABS? On line would be ok but is there a store that I can go to to buy it? The stores around me is WALMART, AUTOZONE, MEIJERS, WALGRENS, and MURRAYS.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Home Depot has MDF.

Also, I moved your thread to the audio forum.:)

thanks dude I thought my thread got deleted. I will check out home depot. Do you have anny info of what would be a better speaker to put other than the 6x8? I herd that the round speakeres wouldn't blow out as easier.

i was thinking, can I just plywood instead of mdf? Hey what is abs annayways? Is abs better than mdf????

Sorry, I really don't know about speakers. And I don't know what ABS is either, I almost asked you!

well MDF is just compressed wood, so I think that a peice of wood will be ok but I am trying to find out what ABS is right now. If you find out what it is let me know a.s.a.p.!!

Thanks

Isn't ABS a type of plastic, like the white stuff used for drains?

I know it is a type of plastic but does anny place sell it in sheets?

Originally posted by bnichols04
I am trying to find out what ABS is right now
You asked buddy!

If you're looking for a flat sheet of plastic, why not plexi-glass?

You can also get MDF @ Menards or any local lumber shop for that matter. Maybe they'll have some scrap, otherwise it's about $20 for a 4x8 sheet.

what is the best way to cut plexi-glass???? Because when ever I try to cut it it always shatters into a million peices. Can I heat it up or something to make it cut easier?? What tool is the best to cut it with? Can I use a jig saw??? If annyone knows let me know A.S.A.P.!!!!

I'd say use something like a roto-zip or dremal tool. Jigsaw might work too. Those are the only way I can think of with ability to cut sharp bends

6x8 to 6.5 round adapter Metra 82-5600 $15. Check intal dept Circuit City type chains.

thanks yall! Can I use plexi-glass instead of abs? Or is abs board just made for speaker adapters?

This is probably irrelavant now if you're using plexi or abs or whatever...but MDF is used instead of plywood because even though it's much stronger, plywood is very prone to resonate at certain bass frequencies depending on the size of the box. If you think about it, at it's resonant frequency, the entire enclosure would become one incredibly inefficient passive radiator. MDF on the other hand, because it's a relatively soft material, is much more controlled and immune to vibration.

I have just figured out that a dremel tool works like **** on a peice of plexi-glass. I just used a band saw. It was a little over kill but it did the job. I have one peice of advice for everybody in makeing holes near the edge of the plexi-glass: start out with a small drill bit then carefully move to a bigger one. Start too big then the peice will crack in half and you have to start all over!

Back