• Register Today It's free!

Where to find a new motor?

pitbulldell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Two years ago i put a junk yard motor in my truck(95 ex 4.0) and its been doing just fine.But I would like to one day put in a brand new 0 miles motor in my truck.I would reuse the heads and intake after getting them reconditioned at the local machine shop.So where is the best place to get a rebuild kit or a new short block? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The best new motor? I would guess Ford dealership. They sell short and long blocks.

The best reconditioned one? That should be somewhere around your area, a shop that you can gather some positive feedback.

In my case, for the same reasons I did look in different places (including Jasper) and I think I will go with those guys just because they offer 5 years/unlimited miles warranty, free shipping (I can pick up the engine and return the core - they would lower the price for me if no shipping involved) and I could verify them, being local. Actually, 5 years is more than Ford gives (3 years, limited milage).

Me, I would go to the wrecking yard,buy a used engine, and have a local shop rebuild it. Of course if it were mine, I would rebuild it myself. You can change the cam, and port match the heads and intake manifold, have a 3 angle valve job done, and add headers for a bit more power. Then when you are done playing with it, realize a bit better fuel mileage. This is my opinion.

Me, I would go to the wrecking yard,buy a used engine, and have a local shop rebuild it. Of course if it were mine, I would rebuild it myself. You can change the cam, and port match the heads and intake manifold, have a 3 angle valve job done, and add headers for a bit more power. Then when you are done playing with it, realize a bit better fuel mileage. This is my opinion.
This is the plan to get a motor from the salvage yard for around $100 on one of there half off days, and me and my dad rebuild it.But was looking for the best place to get a rebuild kit.

Being near Orlando, there should be any number of reputable auto parts stores. You Don't always want the cheapest rebuild kit. After all you want quality parts so the engine will last. Change the rod bolts to ARP, if available. Look up Summit or Jegs. They are a good source. Anything with Clevite bearings, FelPro gaskets, any quality rings and pistons will get you agood rebuild.

Why new?

I would just try to get a low milage motor and break it down and rebuild as needed. Lots of good used parts out there for this motor, plus if you break it down and build it up, you will know what you have. Plus you are not i need of a motor now, so you can really do some searching.

Back