Which 2016 sound systems can be updated to use Apple CarPlay? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which 2016 sound systems can be updated to use Apple CarPlay?

autigers1970

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
Forgive me if I missed a prior thread on this. I did some searches but couldn't find the answer.

I'm looking to purchase an Explorer later this year and I've read that certain 2016 Ford models can go to the dealership and get a software update that will enable Apple CarPlay on them. But I can't seem to figure out if it's all 2016 models or only certain ones.

When I look at 2016 Explorers, I see models with a large display up top with just a few buttons adjacent to it like this:

766244dd7f144c2bae5753c4f7bd8dfb.jpg

Or the Sony version in the Limited trim like this:

aa4183b21fb54a17bd88630c996e7ece.jpg

Or more commonly, one with a smaller screen and a lot of buttons on either side of the display like this:

9fd47afa7ac146e28d48863096c45a0b.jpg

So my question is, are all of these capable of getting the latest (SYNC 3 I think?) update that enables CarPlay? Or just some of them?

And is there any word on whether this update has been extended to previous model years before 2016 yet (or if it ever will)?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the same exact question, and I've got the Sony system with the 401a package on the Sport.

I've done the USB thumb drive upgrade from the Ford owner site, but it doesnt do anything different when plugging in my Apple or Android phones. Is there something else needed to have Carplay work?

The 2016 Explorer with 8" infotainment came with MFT/SYNC2. That system is not capable of Carplay or AA.

You would have to change out the infotainment system to SYNC3 which is not officially supported by Ford or any dealer. Its something you have to do via a 3rd party or yourself.

<snip> I've read that certain 2016 Ford models can go to the dealership and get a software update that will enable Apple CarPlay on them.<snip>
Have you been able to go back to the places you read this at and see if there were any additional details/followup? May as well go back to the horse's mouth and see what it has to say...

I've got the same exact question, and I've got the Sony system with the 401a package on the Sport.

I've done the USB thumb drive upgrade from the Ford owner site, but it doesnt do anything different when plugging in my Apple or Android phones. Is there something else needed to have Carplay work?
Welcome to the Forum Joe. :wave:

Peter

The 2016 Explorer with 8" infotainment came with MFT/SYNC2. That system is not capable of Carplay or AA.

You would have to change out the infotainment system to SYNC3 which is not officially supported by Ford or any dealer. Its something you have to do via a 3rd party or yourself.

So what is the point to the update then? So I now have Sync 3, but with no changes to appearance or functionality? That seems ass backwards. :shifty:

Welcome to the Forum Joe. :wave:

Peter

Thanks, appreciate it. :) Looking forward to learning some more about my Sport. I've had two 3.5 EB F150's, so I'm already a big fan of the performance.

So what is the point to the update then? So I now have Sync 3, but with no changes to appearance or functionality? That seems ass backwards. :shifty:

You need to research SYNC3, it is not the same as SYNC2/MFT.

Appearance is different, and functionality is a bit different since you can do Apple Carplay with the sync 3 which I love using in my '17 Expedition

Appearance is different, and functionality is a bit different since you can do Apple Carplay with the sync 3 which I love using in my '17 Expedition

I get the difference in the two systems, as I have a 2018 F150.

My question is why is there the update on the Ford owner website that states it updates my 2016 Explorer to Sync 3, when in reality I need to replace the entire system to do that?

My question is why is there the update on the Ford owner website that states it updates my 2016 Explorer to Sync 3, when in reality I need to replace the entire system to do that?
Did you change out the Sync 2 (MFT) to Sync 3? In your post #6 you said you have Sync 3 but then you say now that you have to change the entire system. You can't update to Sync 3 with a software update.

Peter

Did you change out the Sync 2 (MFT) to Sync 3? In your post #6 you said you have Sync 3 but then you say now that you have to change the entire system. You can't update to Sync 3 with a software update.

Peter

So I think I figured it out. I have a 2016 with MFT, so this update from Ford only updated 2016's factory installed with Sync 3 to have Carply / Android Auto. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...tware-update-apple-android-2016-vehicles.html

To get Sync 3 on my Explorer Sport I'd have to upgrade all the entire system. It makes sense now, I just interpreted the update as making my MFT upgraded to Sync 3, which obviously is not the case.

Sync 3 only became available on the 2017 Explorer. I believe that the 2016 Escape may have had it,

Peter

I had misunderstood and thought you had upgraded to Sync 3 in your Explorer.

From what i've read the late 2016s had sync 3 as an option. I have not seen one though.

From what i've read the late 2016s had sync 3 as an option. I have not seen one though.
Ford launched Sync 3 on various models in 2016. However, the Explorer was not one of them. The 2017 Explorer was the first Explorer to have it.

Peter

Ford launched Sync 3 on various models in 2016. However, the Explorer was not one of them. The 2017 Explorer was the first Explorer to have it.

Peter

This always surprised me given that the Explorer was just refreshed for 2016 and such a big seller.

Back