Which amp bypass harness for 1998? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which amp bypass harness for 1998?

SPLEclipse

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0 RWD
Hi guys! I have a quick question concerning replacement of the stock head unit/amp in my 1998 Explorer. It seems that there's a bit of confusion around this model year so searching for info has been a bit difficult.

My explorer has the stock headunit (F87F-18C815-CA) and amp behind the rear quarter-panel (F57F-18T8U6-AB). There is no stock subwoofer. I need to know what he correct bypass harness is so I can install an aftermarket headunit to power the speakers. The two I've found so far are:

Metra 70-5008; it looks like this lets me wire in the long, thin P100 connector to power in the dash and includes a long harness that runs back to the amp for the speaker connections. Would this work?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705008/Metra-70-5008-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html

Scosche FDK8B; this one looks like it has both P100 connectors for the dash wiring locations and uses a simple jumper harness to connect the appropriate speaker level wires together to bypass the amp. This one is less expensive and seems like it would be an easier install. Would this one work as well?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4449_Scosche-FDK8B.html

The other option is to just run new wiring myself, which isn't a problem but I'd prefer not to. Thanks in advance for any help!

If I read your post correctly you are going to eliminate the factory amp?

If so you are going to need to cut into the speaker wires on the downstream side of the amp to run the speakers.

That's correct - I want to completely eliminate the amp. So there's no plug (or bypass jumper harness) that would allow me to tap into the output harness on the amp? Bummer.

I'm currently replacing my stereo in my 98 ex also. I hear ya about finding info. Seems every website I go to is recommending a different wiring harness. I pulled the factory stereo today to learn that I bought the wrong one. :eek: Anyways, while I get that sorted, how do I know if I have an amp or not as I will be bypassing that like yourself? Also, how does having two plugs from the factory radio translate into one adapter? I assume I need two like one of your links is suggesting? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Back