• Register Today It's free!

Which Transfer Case ?

Larry2010

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Grove, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4X4 4.0 SOHC
I can't find a model# on my transfer case. My book just says it's a BW 1354 or 4405. Which one is on a 99 Sport, stock 4x4, 4.0 SOHC, Auto, 410 Diff. ?

Is it the 4405 because I have 4-Auto, available on the switch?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chances are it is a 4405. But to be sure, it shoud have a metal tag that is attached to the case. On that tag you will see if it says 1354 or 4405. Hope that helps out!

It'll be a 44-05. The 1354 is a manual t-case, isn't it?

-Joe

gijoecam said:
It'll be a 44-05. The 1354 is a manual t-case, isn't it?

-Joe

its both. you can get a manual---rare, or the electronic shift one.

The 1354 is a Control-Trac case?? I believe that 1354 is strictly a part-time case, out of the first-generation Explorers, and the Rangers, no? It's electric-shift or manual-shift, but not the same thing a Control-Trac case from a 2nd gen, isn't it?

I'm not entirely sure that the 13-54 was ever offered in a second-gen state-side, was it? I thought that they went to nothing but the Control-Trac 44-05 in 95, and you either got the selectable part-time case for the A4wd or the full-time case for the AWD, but in either case, they're still 44-05s, no?

Just asking.... wouldn't be the first time my knowledge was incorrect....

-Joe

from what i have learned off the site and seen on other trucks, the 1354 is for the first gen, the 4405 is second gen. and yes you either got the selectable or the AWD for the V8's.

[QUOTE='97 V8]from what i have learned off the site and seen on other trucks, the 1354 is for the first gen, the 4405 is second gen. and yes you either got the selectable or the AWD for the V8's.[/QUOTE]

OK, so by that logic, in a 99 sport, he would have a 44-05 and nothing but, correct?

:rolleyes:

Sheesh!

For the record, if you're laying underneath the truck, if you look up at the t-case, there will be a metal tag on the back of the t-case that should list the model and serial numbers off it. Also, IIRC, there is a big white sticker on the front of the t-case that says, 'Borg-Warner 44-05 Control Trac, copyright ******' Mine was big and white and couldn't be missed....

lol, as you answered your question yes, its a 4405

Back