Why does the FWD has a bump in the middle of the seats going from front to back? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does the FWD has a bump in the middle of the seats going from front to back?

mr_z06

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited FWD
For all wheel drive it makes sense and for rear wheel drive it does as well but why does a FWD need to do at the back wheels?

My buddies Accadia is FWD and he does not have a bump.

So what is it that is running from the front to the rear wheels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For all wheel drive it makes sense and for rear wheel drive it does as well but why does a FWD need to do at the back wheels?

My buddies Accadia is FWD and he does not have a bump.

So what is it that is running from the front to the rear wheels?

You & I seem to be in the same situation. I have had my Ex for 4 days, & I'm wondering the same thing.

maybe the driveshaft is up higher in the explorers compared to teh acadias? they are basically totally different vehicles aside from over all setup (the fact that they are FWD with rear awd setup) so maybe the axle sits closer to the body making the driveshaft up higher in the way? (or the body just sits lower in that area for more leg room)?

.....or it could be because they only make one style body regardless whether it is FWD or AWD.

Peter

^ what Peter said. Way to expensive to get rid of the hump for the cheaper FWD.

^ what Peter said. Way to expensive to get rid of the hump for the cheaper FWD.

And the exhaust goes down the center as well... Further, the hump makes the body/chassis stronger and less vibration and noise prone and better in an accident....

come on [MENTION=227037]Kpwweb[/MENTION] we had a good hate train going why did you have to come around and be are reasonable and right :(

come on [MENTION=227037]Kpwweb[/MENTION] we had a good hate train going why did you have to come around and be are reasonable and right :(

There's enough hate in the world...?

Although I do understand some people need a cause!

8-p

In addition to what Peter said, it is also a design thing. The Acadia, even in AWD does not have the large hump. Nor does Ford's Edge/MKX, even in AWD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xXEZo-604

The Explorer shares the same floor pan as the Taurus. The bump does help ground clearance in that it allows the driveshaft and exhaust to sit higher in the car. Plus, it reminds you that this car is still somewhat an actual SUV. Other than that, the hump is merely Ford's attempt to share the same floor pan to cheapen and raise the efficiency of the manufacturing process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_D3_platform

Back