Will a dash-light come on if the transmission fluid gets too low ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a dash-light come on if the transmission fluid gets too low ?

2004mountaineers

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Will a dash-light come on if the transmission fluid gets too low ?

(I ask of course only because there is no reasonable way to check the fluid level, such as a dipstick.)

2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4liter, awd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In reading the Owner's Manual, it does not appear that there is a low fluid level warning light. The only way to check the level seems to be to remove the transmission fluid plug, which according to the manual should be done by the dealer. If the level is low, use a pump to add the fluid until it begins to overflow, and then reinsert the plug.

Peter

In the center of the transmission drain plug there is a special type of screw. In the center of the bolt it has a Torx screw. That is the screw you remove to check your level. Don't remove the larger bolt or you'll drain the tranny. The bolt is hollow and reaches up into the pan about an inch which is for the level you want. First you want to get your tranny warmed up and maybe run it through the gear to make sure the fluid that needs to be in the Torque converter is there or you will not get a proper reading. If your tranny was full and you don't warm it up and get the fluid into the torque converter then a bunch of fluid will come out and you will be low on fluid.

So to check your level you just remove the torx screw in the middle of the transmission drain bolt after the transmission is warmed up to maybe 120 degrees. If no fluid comes out you need to pump some in. You will need a fitting like the one pictured here next to the bolt in the first picture:

So you don't run into the same problem I did. If your OEM drain bolt is good you need that little adapter for your OEM bolt. The Dorman adapter is a different thread and size. I bought a Dorman bolt, got home and tried to put my adapter for an OEM bolt in but it wouldn't fit. Went back to Oreilly's to get the adapter for the Dorman bolt and they didn't carry the fitting for the drain bolt they sold me. I'd get the adapter with the barbs. They come smooth also. You will need a fluid pump like this which has the right size hose for the adapter: Multi-Use Transfer Pump

There are a number of Youtube videos you can watch to make it easier. Hope this helps. Good idea to check especially since it is so easy and these transmissions are known for being very robust.

In reading the Owner's Manual, it does not appear that there is a low fluid level warning light. The only way to check the level seems to be to remove the transmission fluid plug, which according to the manual should be done by the dealer. If the level is low, use a pump to add the fluid until it begins to overflow, and then reinsert the plug.

Peter
That is very unfortunate. If someone developed a leak that had to be topped off once/week, there goes their transmission bye bye bye....

Very few transmissions have any kind of level sensor. If your transmission develops a leak, I guess you should fix it instead of irresponsibly dumping oil everywhere.

Very few transmissions have any kind of level sensor. If your transmission develops a leak, I guess you should fix it instead of irresponsibly dumping oil everywhere.
I guess most of my vehicles are old-school and all have a transmission dipstick (and all have fluid leaks that I check on a
weekly basis); so, burning my arm every week on the exhaust is gonna take some gettin' used to. :D
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1988 Nissan pickup
2000 Nissan Frontier
2004 Mercury Mountaineer

Why not just take the effort and fix the issue? Transmissions don’t leak from many places. You’ve got the pan gasket, and the lines, and that’s about it.

Why not just take the effort and fix the issue? Transmissions don’t leak from many places. You’ve got the pan gasket, and the lines, and that’s about it.
Ok. Let me try and take some pictures of some reddish wet spots. I am not great at diagnosing leaks myself; maybe with some help.

From these pictures, there is not any obvious leak
from the pan gasket (that I can tell). There may be a leak
from the pan-plug itself; although since the plug is the lowest
spot, I suppose that could be a wrong conclusion...

3yo6wo.jpg

4bwyih.jpg

lodv2x.jpg

ohvv4k.jpg

pd2vef.jpg

9pc1ba.jpg

o2qd1d.jpg

ljesg6.jpg

z26xhq.jpg

dh8yj6.jpg

7e5e1g.jpg

e71o8n.jpg

u175hv.jpg

xk3rci.jpg

xrhfgh.jpg

s5fvoh.jpg

9wu4m1.jpg

1xsq66.jpg

kkf94v.jpg

gu7ow5.jpg

I notice there is a lot of wetness where the transmission meets the transfer-case. I have never had
to add transfer-case fluid (and that is very easy to check with my pinkie on a cold engine). However,
maybe one of the seals between the transmission and t-case is bad and is causing a transmission
fluid leak ? (That would be at least $425 after fluids and ubers, to get those seals replaced.)

My car developed a leak in the tranny cooler, so there's that as well.

Mechanic said he'd never seen one leak before mine...that's what 301k does!

My car developed a leak in the tranny cooler, so there's that as well.

Mechanic said he'd never seen one leak before mine...that's what 301k does!
Super easy fix, at least. Bypass the radiator. Rubber hose and some clamps and done.

Did Ford put it in there to leak, so you could inconvenience yourself weekly to maintain a fluid level?

Unless you’re somewhere VERY cold you absolutely don’t need the radiator cooler.

Back