Wire for CD changer

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
I have a 1995 XLT that had the premium cassette deck. I installed a head unit from a 98 Expedition that has CD changer controls. now my question is: were the Explorers wired for a CD changer and if so where is the wire? If not then where does it plug in on the head unit?! Thanks

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4
80,000 miles
K&N Drop-in
Bosch +4's
BFG Long Trails
Have a nice day! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, the Explorers do not come pre-wired. The guys who had it before me had a 6 disc changer installed by Circut City right before I bought it. Circut City had to run the wires and evrything. They mounted it in the back, and I didn't really like it there, so I moved it to the consle. The wiring is really easy for audio components. I hooked up an amp and sub and re did the changer in 2 and a half hours.

On the back of the deck (head unit) there should be a plug that would match up with the wires for the changer. The plug is usualy in the lower right corner when you are looking at the back of the deck. It simply plugs in there, and then all you have to do is run a ground wire to a close body bolt. The wire for the controling display (if you have one), should be run along with the wire to the deck, and then shoot off to where you want to mount it.

Hope this helps,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

Travis, I believe it was prewired for the factory changer. It sounds to me like Chris' truck came with an aftermarket model, and you can't rely on Circuit City to do anything right. I bought a center console from a '95 and it looked to me to have the wires for the changer in it. Check under the storage box in the console. I'm not sure, there's a lot of wires. I'm sure somebody can confirm this.

Well yes, I do have an aftermarket model. I know that mine did not come prewired, and my friend's parent's 98 (I think..either 97 or 98) XLT did not come prewired as well. Since it was an option for the Explorers, some of them may come with the wiring. I guess the only way to really tell is to look underneith the storage box like Zensius said.

Good Luck,
Chris
'91 Explorer 2dr

I think the changer unit from Ford comes with a harness that plugs into the head unit.
I installed a Sony changer in the console, but didn't find any extra connectors in there, even though the radio has the buttons for a cd changer. If the factory radio has the buttons, and since Ford mounts the changer in the console, don't you think the harness would be there? I just think that is the way it is.

Then again, when was the last time you could actually use factory wiring, and just plug it all in? Dead Link Removed

------------------
97 Explorer XLT
V8 AWD
Snorkless box W/ K&N Filter http://www.grandillusion.org/xlt.htm

[This message has been edited by kilroy (edited 05-16-2000).]

Back