won't start, clicking noise under steering column | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

won't start, clicking noise under steering column

jimbalaya

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Exp.XLT 2wd 4.0 SOHC
my car won't start, and there is a rapid clicking noise from right under the steering column under the dash - even with the ignition in the off position and the key removed! And I should add that there is no power of any kind either - no dash lights, interior lights, radio won't come on, etc. But battery is new and fully charged [see update below]. Has anyone you experienced this?

As another clue, yesterday my wife went to store and when she tried to leave, the car would not start. AAA came out and moved the steering wheel [unlocked it?] and then it started - no need to jump start it. I have tried wiggling the shift bar, moving from P to N, as well as turning the steering wheel.

UPDATE: AAA came out and tested battery just now - it's fully charged. And it started right up. Weird result, simply attaching the battery tester [not a jump starter] must of triggered something because then it started right up [this is what i believe happened yesterday too when my wife at store, but she may not of understood the facts].

Seems like an intermittent problem but i have no idea how to troubleshoot - any ideas?

any help would be appreciated.

Jim

my car won't start, and there is a rapid clicking noise from right under the steering column under the dash - even with the ignition in the off position and the key removed! And I should add that there is no power of any kind either - no dash lights, interior lights, radio won't come on, etc. But battery is new and fully charged [see update below]. Has anyone you experienced this?

As another clue, yesterday my wife went to store and when she tried to leave, the car would not start. AAA came out and moved the steering wheel [unlocked it?] and then it started - no need to jump start it. I have tried wiggling the shift bar, moving from P to N, as well as turning the steering wheel.

UPDATE: AAA came out and tested battery just now - it's fully charged. And it started right up. Weird result, simply attaching the battery tester [not a jump starter] must of triggered something because then it started right up [this is what i believe happened yesterday too when my wife at store, but she may not of understood the facts].

Seems like an intermittent problem but i have no idea how to troubleshoot - any ideas?

any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Hey Jim,

I hope you’re not still dealing with this 7 years later, but I thought I’d reply anyway, since I just resolved a similar issue. I just had a similar issue.

For me, it all came down to a bad connection with my negative terminal. I cleaned all of the surfaces and it seemed to solve the issue. The only additional note I have is it seems I also had a bad starter. I think that was just dumb luck and not a connection. I hope this helps someone.

Thanks for your solution… adds value to the Forum!

Back