worry about new 2020 explorer limited (transmission) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

worry about new 2020 explorer limited (transmission)

I picked up my 2020 Limited Hybrid AWD model at the end of December 2019 and it has over 17.000 miles on it now with no transmission problems.

I checked and the owners manual recommends 6k mile oil changes for operation in extremely hot environments and only 5K miles in dusty conditions. I'd say your dealers are following Ford's guidelines. There aren't many parts of the US that match your conditions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.................................................... I was just surprised because even the 2021 models are out and they don't have parts?
Might be due to all the transmission issues the Explorer seems to be having. :dunno:

Peter

Sounds like Ford has shot themselves in their other foot with this design

Might be due to all the transmission issues the Explorer seems to be having. :dunno:

Peter

Yeah, maybe they have a priority for supplying the parts for the ones that have the problem.

What Transmission Issues? 8000K and counting.

What Transmission Issues? 8000K and counting.
22k and counting. It isn’t perfect, but it works for me. I had the cooler replaced and I think they reset the computer. It shifts like butter for me

For 90% of my driving, it shifts so smooth as well. It is only noticeable when I am changing direction of elevation and speed that sometimes it gives a little kathunk. like when I just crest a hill and it was getting ready to shift up, then I start the descent at the time of the shift, and it doesn't know exactly what to do yet, so it shifts up/down/up and that is noticeable. But I don't know how to "compute" that given that the terrain and speed is changing all at the same time in different directions very quickly. (make sense? lol)

For 90% of my driving, it shifts so smooth as well. It is only noticeable when I am changing direction of elevation and speed that sometimes it gives a little kathunk. like when I just crest a hill and it was getting ready to shift up, then I start the descent at the time of the shift, and it doesn't know exactly what to do yet, so it shifts up/down/up and that is noticeable. But I don't know how to "compute" that given that the terrain and speed is changing all at the same time in different directions very quickly. (make sense? lol)

You have explained it perfectly. This is Not the first vehicle I have experienced it, my previous vehicles, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2019 Navigator, 2019 Continental and the new 2020 Explorer all do the same thing of going back and forth trying to find the right gear during incline/decline and cause that noise thunk or thud depending on how well they are insulated.

Back