Would this work? Power window accuator for rear sport windows | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would this work? Power window accuator for rear sport windows

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
I've noticed how the Lincoln Navigators have power rear quarter panel windows. I'm just curious if anyone has tried this modification and if not, what the experts think my chances are of making it work. I would be using the stock Lincoln accuator and probably some sort of aftermarket switch.

Here's a link to the accuator/windo schematic...

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...8790&callout=3&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont see any reason why not.
I have a 4-door switch pannel you can have. It would be rad to wire it in that way.

Sweet, I hadn't even thought of that! PM a price and I guess I can get it from you at the next meet and greet. Thanks!

no price.

You going to AFN ?

Thanks a bunch. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to miss out on AFN this year. I'm just now getting my life organized with the job and FD here at home. I'll do my best to make the next meet and greet though, so hopefully we can meet up then.

Looks like it could work using the Lincoln parts and a bit of fabricating. Go for it, then post up your results. I've always wished my side windows were powered.

A few years ago, I was thinking about using the actuator from a mini van that had those pop out windows in the very back. I figured the parts would be expensive and it would need some welding...which I can't do... so I didn't go through with it.

I'll definitely do a good write-up. I was going to use an FD switch panel that I'm going to install in my radio console. But thanks to Kevin, I can hopefully make this look totally stock. I've got to get to a u-pull-it soon and grab an actuator (even if its dead) to see how much fabricating I'll need to do. Hopefully, it won't be too much as I don't have the shop or tools to get too elaborate. It's going to be a fun project, that's for sure.

It's actually going to be part of really big project I'm starting this summer. I'm getting a 2m radio from my stepfather and installing it is going to be part of phase 1. The rest of phase one will be dropping the headliner to install 3 roof mount antennas (the antenna for the 2m, and bases/cables for a scanner and cb that I'm installing at a later date) and 2 KC lights for my roof rack. To run the antenna cables and wiring for the lights, I'll also need to pull the carpet, my seats and armrest. While I've got all of that out, I figure I might as well run wiring for the seat heaters that I'm going to install with the new seats that I'll hopefully have by next winter. That way, even though I don't have the scanner, cb or seats, everything will be prewired/cabled and it should be plug and play to install the rest.

Cool, should turn out pretty nice!

The hard part will likely be fitting it into the Explorer's C-pillar without compromising its strength. I suspect there isn't much room behind that trim panel, but confess I've never had one off.

-Joe

i have considered something similar with my sports wing windows, ford windstars also have a power rear wing windows system, if i could fit it behind the plastic all it would need would be to connect to the window the way it already is...id like to see how this turns out for you

The hard part will likely be fitting it into the Explorer's C-pillar without compromising its strength. I suspect there isn't much room behind that trim panel, but confess I've never had one off.

-Joe

Yeah, that's why I'd prefer just getting dead accuator to do the initial fit. It would be pretty sweet if I can pull it off though.

well either way it is going to be far from pretty ( no disrespect to your workmanship ) but the pillar trim will need to be cut, and the actuator pretty much will be out in the open.
Mechanically it is about as easy and straight forward as it comes.

well either way it is going to be far from pretty ( no disrespect to your workmanship ) but the pillar trim will need to be cut, and the actuator pretty much will be out in the open.
Mechanically it is about as easy and straight forward as it comes.

None taken! :D

That's why I'd like to get an actuator cheap, even if it's inoperable to do a test fit. I'm thinking I should try to get the surrounding trim piece as well. I'm starting to get comfortable with fiberglass and I think it might be possible to do some sort of cut and blend with glass and bondo. My biggest challenge then will be finding a matching trim paint.

Will it win a car show, nope. But I think with some time, some trial and lots of errors, I can make it rise above some half-arsed attempt to be different.

I'll tell you thing much. You do a good write up with pics and there will be a lot of followers.
It is a great idea. I thought about it which is why I have the 4door pad, but lacked the over all motovation.

Heck you pick the right weekend and I would be glad to come help.

I'll tell you thing much. You do a good write up with pics and there will be a lot of followers.
It is a great idea. I thought about it which is why I have the 4door pad, but lacked the over all motovation.

Heck you pick the right weekend and I would be glad to come help.

I'd be honored. Now I just have to get those actuators and trim panels. Any good bone yards that you'd suggest?

I'm definitely getting excited about this.

opening up an old thread

did thisd ever get off the table and into the truck? i have been wanting to do this since i owned my windstar

We don't get the Sport here so I don't know what the back window looks like.
Can someone help me to visualise this by explaining how the standard back window works?

Jeff the original poster never got this mod off the ground before his untimely passing.

The whole thing is very possible. The challenge would come in with the mechanism to open and close the glass, and how to make it ascetically pleasing.

Back