Wzup Peeps Just Bought 96 XLT

spmack

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT Black
Hello All!!!

I'm spmack, from the south side of Chicago, and I just bought a 96 XLT, with only 87,000 , and the previous owner took great care of it because it is clean inside and out , and I didn't know that XLT's had leather but this one does have the tan "guts". Anyone who lives in the Chicagoland area check out Arlington Heights Ford they hooked me up well. This is a great site, and I'm glad to be a member now. If anyone can tell me what to look out for as far as preventative maintenance on the 96 xlt model, that would be great, and also, they told me at the dealership that it's not good to change to an after market radio because a lot of them can mess up the electrical system, so if anyone knows if I can put a Ford Factory cd player in my truck please let me know.

Thanks
spmack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HOLA
Wellcome, the dealership is blowin smoke as per the audio, just did a super 8 track install today in my tracster, just need to find some tapes

Welcome to the boards!
Don't believe the dealer...I've had a Panasonic in my dash for 4 years now with no "electrical problems". Changing the HU doesn't change the electrical system at all. It uses the same wires and everything. Bout the only thing it changes is that you loose the rear seat controls for the radio, but there is even a wire harness for some HU's that can remedy that.
As far as maintenance goes, see if the dealer has any service records on it and find out what all has been done on it. Other than that, just the normal tune-ups, especially once you hit 100k, may want to look at changing plugs & wires, and O2 sensors seem to go around 100k.
Enjoy your new truck!!!

Cool, thanks Ru and Spindle, Ill keep that in mind, I think they were just trying to be honest I don't think they were trying to "get" me or anything, I'll go to Best Buy or something tomorrow, otherwise I might go to a junkyard this week and see if I can get a factory Cd player cheap and install it myself.

I'd avoid Best Buy. Everyone I know who has had installs by them have had complaints. An aftermarket radio can't damage anything if installed properly. Factory decks aren't cheap, and are are generally not as good.

Welcome to the site

It's all about the transmission

Have the fluid changed regularly... and good luck.

Welcome to the best place for technical info for your truck, you will need it. :banghead:

Back