forgot how nice a 2nd gen is

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
ive been driving my 93 when im not working.. just using my 97 as a daily driver. well this morning i was getting ready to leave for work and was trying to decide which to drive. both needed gas, the 93 has sirius radio.. the 97 has leather, power, and a 302. i hopped in the 97 for another 50 mile round trip to work.

i dont think ive ever owned a vehicle that runs as good as my 5.0. smooth acceleration, comfortable ride, simple but nicely laid out dash/interior. i pulled out onto the main road and eased into the throttle and next thing i knew i was 20 over the posted limit. my friends dog on me for having one explorer yet alone 2 but it is a really nice ride and well performing vehicle.

everyone is always saying 'exploder' this or 'ford' that but i havnt had any serious trouble with it, just the egr tube, tune up, cv boot, and brakes. I did pamper the truck with msd coils but other than that it is bone stock.

if i could only have one vehicle, i would be happy with my 97. i guess all of this was really just me realizing how good of a vehicle my 2nd gen is. i kinda feel like ive neglected it over the past year, its only been washed once. haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True story, bro. I think people definitely underestimate the value and utility of these beasts. 2nd gen explorers are quite possibly the best man. Gas mileage aside, which really isn't even that big a deal, explorers are definitely awesome vehicles. In stock form, they're so comfortable, have sufficient power, (I got SOHC 4.0L), and are great for cruising. I inherited my parents' explorer, and we've had it since it came off the dealer lot in 99. No lies, I run synthetic oil in the thing, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil during the 3,000 miles before I change it. Whoever talks **** on Ford obviously never drove one of their trucks, which is definitely the company's forte. The quality of Ford cars may be iffy to some people, but their trucks are unstoppable. Great post, man. :thumbsup: Let's get some more testimony going in this thread!

Kyle

I agree 100%. I hope that my 2000 XLT V8 will last until it burns up the last drop of gasoline on Earth. I have 130000 on mine never left me stranded.

I havent owned my 98 that long but my previous truck was a 97 Pathfinder and while I miss the pathfinder (totalled it) this explorer has alot more power and runs really smoothe. I've only taken it off-road once and it did very well. I do about 60% highway driving, 20% city driving and 20% off road (dirt roads, rig roads mostly). Winter is about here and I want to see how the 4x4 handles heavy colorado snow. I still have some mods to do such as shackles, TT and new leafs along with new tires once I wear out these Goodyear Wranglers. All in all I am impressed with this 2nd gen truck.

I borrowed a friends 94 ford truck, I didnt like it to much. You could tell the previous owner neglected it. And So did my friend. the RWD sucked. Even tho i miss rwd for winter and being able to drift corners and get people to look by doing wheel stands in my fifth ave.

But my Explorer. Man o man. I love it. Starts faster than any vehicle i've ever driven. I've driving Skylines, vettes, our viper, and it starts in like a 1/4 of the time they take to start. Its getting better on gas. It was going 1L/5km. So when i got it, I was dirty. The engine had sludge. Its slowing running out tho. So hopefully when i do my 130km road trip this weekend it'll clean it out a bit.

All in all. I Love My X

I haven't seen mine in two months and I'm really missing it. Before I left for the UK I had good intentions on getting a new car when I returned. Now I want to hang onto it for quite a while now. I even want to throw a few mods at it now.

I am the third owner.. 2nd owner in my family of the truck. i have put 60K miles on it since ive had it and at 155K miles it still drives fantastic. there is no need to buy a brand new vehicle as long as there are well maintained late models out there to buy.

Spent 300 bones on my 98 and I love it. My wife has a fully loaded 05 solara, I have a 07 milan, and I always find myself taking the 98 explorer w/ 103,000 miles on it.

my fiance has a 99 legacy and while it is a nice car and drives great its not nearly as comfortable as hopping into the explorer. for me the explorer/ranger size is what does it for me. ive driven every size of suv imagineable, from a 79 wagoneer (best 4x4 ever), an 85 K-5 blazer, 88 bronco II, 93 GMC s-15 jimmy, 06 wrangler and i gotta say the explorer 'fits' me best, literally.

Im hearin you guys. Im the 3rd owner of my X after my dad. As soon as he bought it, I wanted it, so when he was done I bought it. My wife was giving me all that "exploder" BS all the time though so I took her for a quick desert trip and she did a 180 in her head. Now she loves it and is pushing me to get the 33's. Guess I got lucky with my woman huh. Although Im having a tough time deciding what lift combo to go with.

Back