How to: - Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Here Is how to convert your dome lights from light bulbs to LEDs.

Starting with the Driver and Front Pax

What you will need

20 LEDs 55,000mcd
20 Resistors to bring the voltage down from 12volts to what your LEDs are rated at. Mine were 3.6v
Radio Shack Project board

First cut 2 pieces of the project board to 1.35" X1.35"
IMG_0018-2.jpg

Then arrange your LEDs on the board the way you want them. I used 10 on each board, 6 as spot lights and 4 on the corners as floods (grind the tips flat on the 4). Solder a resistor to each + lead of each LED and wire all the - leads together. Use Hot glue to attach each LED.
IMG_0019-2.jpg

Use clear nail polish to refinish the 4 ground down LEDs.
IMG_0023-2.jpg

Test
IMG_0022-3.jpg

Now disassemble the over head console and remove the 2 bulb holders
IMG_0024-2.jpg

Remove the metal shrouds from each of the bulb holders.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

Attach each board to the bulb holders using a Zip Tie, then use hot glue of silicone on the back to bond the board to the bulb holder
IMG_0026-2.jpg

Wire the 2 boards to the corresponding light switch on the console and snap on the cover.
IMG_0043.jpg

2nd row seats

I used 8 LEDs for this

Cut 2 pieces of project board .84"x.84"
IMG_0027-1.jpg

Arrange your LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0031-1.jpg

I used the - leads on the LEDs to hold the 2 boards together since the dome light reflector is in a pyramid shape and has to be bent in the center.
IMG_0030.jpg

Hot glue the board in.
IMG_0032-1.jpg

Done
IMG_0042-2.jpg

Cargo Area

I used 12 LEDs here

After removing the Unit from the headliner you need to gut out the metal contacts that were used for holding the bulb. Then Cut a piece of project board to fit inside the housing. Arrange you the LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0036-1.jpg

Here is what the back looks like on the boards with the - leads soldered together.
IMG_0038.jpg

Use hot glue to glue the board into the housing, and coat back of the board with glue or silicone to insulate.
IMG_0039-3.jpg

Done
IMG_0040.jpg

Will get pics when it gets dark out

Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

p51.....i think you have an led obsession...do we need to arrange an intervention??? ha ha

is the farthest back "cargo light" only a xlt thing or is it only a certain year model thing? because my 96 sport doesn't have the cargo light it's got the rear light and the front one but not the third "cargo light" that yours does

This is such a perfect write-up. Great job.

looks great i did my interior led lights before, did them a little different though. looks great, nice write up

is the farthest back "cargo light" only a xlt thing or is it only a certain year model thing? because my 96 sport doesn't have the cargo light it's got the rear light and the front one but not the third "cargo light" that yours does

it should, my 98 sport has it. i think i may have to do this once i am done painting my truck..... even if i told everyone no more mods after i paint it :nono:

How's the light output compared to the regular bulbs?

The front seats are almost too bright, 10 LEDs on each board was overkill, I say you really only need to use 6 on each board. Its at least 5x as bright as the stock bulbs. The 2nd row is 2x as bright, its perfect, and the cargo light is also id say 3x as bright. I tried to get a pic last night but I need to get my tripod when I go home.

i have 6 on each board for mine (front), and they work real well.

P51,

Nice !

Good write up, material list and all, nice work.

I've worked electronics most of my life and always hated ppicking out LEDs, you solved that.

Thanks for the effort.

Night Pictures

Here is what they look like at night.

Like I said the front lights are a little too bright
IMG_0071-2.jpg

2nd row
IMG_0070-1.jpg

cargo
IMG_0068-1.jpg

Again NICE !

You must have read my mind I was going to ask you for night time pics.

Thanks,

they look great ,what a great job, , i agree the fronts appear a bit bright, but that can be okay too, unless you need the night vision afterwards,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Was searching for some LEDs to put in my overhead console and came across these...

Those look like they will fit you might have to hard wire them in though because the board has to be mounted to the bulb holder, which will not allow the connector to plug into the 194 socket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Those look like they will fit you might have to hard wire them in though because the board has to be mounted to the bulb holder, which will not allow the connector to plug into the 194 socket.

That sould not be a problem since I melted the black plastic holder when I replaced it with what was suppose to be the correct bulb. It ended up getting to hot and melted the holder so know the connector fits to loose causing connection problems. Ford caries the holder, but they want $70 for it.

Wow, those things are BRIGHT. I'm guessing that if you were to say grind the tip flat on all of them, you'd have a wider dispersal of light isntead of the bright spot on the seats?

^^^^ the problem with that it it spreads it out too much, thats what the diffuser (clear) plastic piece is for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, those things are BRIGHT. I'm guessing that if you were to say grind the tip flat on all of them, you'd have a wider dispersal of light isntead of the bright spot on the seats?

I really don't know if it would change much, I think the best method would be to use less LEDs, like shortstack said the defuser does spread the light out, it just cant do it as well as it did with the bulbs with the onslaught of light coming from the LEDs.

Back