LED Mirror Light Conversion (Pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Mirror Light Conversion (Pics)

MustangP51

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Limited V8
This is the way to convert your mirror lights over to LEDs for 97-01 Explorers

Materials:
-24 5mm 55,000mcd, white LEDs
-24 Resistors
-Radio Shack Project Board

Tools:
-Dremel
-Hot Glue Gun
-Soldering Iron

Remove the bulb housing from the mirror.
IMG_0091-1.jpg

Using the dremel and a cut off wheel, cut off the top of the housing
IMG_0092.jpg

Then cut a piece of project board to fit in the light housing
IMG_0093-1.jpg

Glue on 12 LEDs to each board.
IMG_0094.jpg

Solder on a resistor to each + LED lead
IMG_0095.jpg

Then group the + leads, and connect the - leads
IMG_0102.jpg

Cover all the exposed wires with hot glue then put the board inside the housing and glue it together.
IMG_0097-1.jpg

Test
IMG_0105.jpg

Results
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks awesome, i might have to do that one day. puddle lights rule!!!

Nice touch

your pretty good with the lighting on the x i saw your other project with the rack lights. you buy the led bulbs from radio shack also ? lighting is one of the key upgrades that i focus on too.

i did this a while ago but with blue lights. Made a neat little module that plugged into the orgional wiring. no cutting required. nice write up though.

your pretty good with the lighting on the x i saw your other project with the rack lights. you buy the led bulbs from radio shack also ? lighting is one of the key upgrades that i focus on too.

Thank you
I buy my LEDs on eBay in bulk, usually from someone from Hong Kong.

cool thanks and by the way i just looked at the rest of the upgrades you did and i am impressed.....thanks for the pointers

hella help

Listen mustang you would probably know ive been searching for a while now, i bought hella 500 lights and i want to have them run with either my low beams or both high and lows preferably. the diagram gives me the way to connect them to my highs. im guessing i can splice it to the low beams but can i just have the lights run by themselves. thanks

Listen mustang you would probably know ive been searching for a while now, i bought hella 500 lights and i want to have them run with either my low beams or both high and lows preferably. the diagram gives me the way to connect them to my highs. im guessing i can splice it to the low beams but can i just have the lights run by themselves. thanks

You can wire them to a separate switch to operate them independently. The reason they say to tie them into the high beams is because they will blind oncoming drivers, and should be shut off with the high beams.

In the future you should start a new thread if you have a question unrelated to the thread, its no big deal, but its just courteous.

Try making your own thread, asking about this, you will get alot more help lots of people here have aux driving lights, and can give you better info then I can, since I haven't done it myself.

looks awesome keep up the good work

I didnt mean to ask you on your thread i am new to the site and was trying to start a thread but didnt really know where to do that, not too good with forums. I didnt mean to step on anyones toes...thanks for the info though very helful

God dang
I gotta try that, that looks amazing.

i can't tell what the color codes are on your resistors, how many ohms are they?

They are 510 ohms (Green, Brown, Brown, Gold)

the only pic i have of the lights is this:

101_0129.jpg

the only pic i have of the lights is this:

101_0129.jpg

and then ive got this done to my truck also, everything is blue, gauges, center console, rear controols, door controlls, even the glove box is blue and lights in the vents.

101_0128.jpg

i actually have green puddle lamps along w/ my green xenons, lemme get a pick up soon......

and then ive got this done to my truck also, everything is blue, gauges, center console, rear controols, door controlls, even the glove box is blue and lights in the vents.

can you post pics of all of those you did...... thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which trim levels come with the lighted mirrors?

Back