• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack Light Bar (Pics)

My latest mod to my Explorer.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

All lit up

ExplorerNight.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the mouse killer makes the lights blue?

Jk
It looks very unique--but isn't any color other than white or amber in front illegal?

yeah i'm wondering about the legality too, do you have any pics of it in the day time?

oooh that's cool.....how did you run the power?

Geez--
I was looking at the blue lights and completely ignored the bar lights as mentioned in the title--

that is way up there--in fact , don't they make a real bright white led that could be used as a spot light up there? Or a few of them?

hmmm

The Blue lights are wig-wags, and are operated separately then the running lights. I can only use them while on airport grounds. The stock marker lights have also been swapped out with LEDs

I ran the power down the roof rack track and into the weather stripping on the rear hatch.

Ill get a daytime pic tomorrow

cool. i have a big roof rack for the chevy, and i wanna put lights on it....

what are the blue lights for @ the airport? i work at a huge international airport and have never seen blue except for the local sheriffs we have running around

Its not a commercial airport, And I use them if Im doing a FOD check on one of the runways.
There nothing official, I just have them to make the truck more visible.

What airport do you work at? Whats your position?

Last edited:

im a material handler for fedex @ the oakland metro airport in CA. i load and unload planes on the ramp

That looks sweet, but it's got to be illegal. Offroad use though, you are good to go!

The all lit up picture looks excellent. Nice work!

You Mouse Killer!

1. Cool mod. Looks like a cop cruiser at first glance. Would look great if you're out on a trail at night.

2. Nice stang fellow owner

3. Mice- Magnum trap, some peanut butter, and a single Cherrio. Gets them every time.

Nice job.. they look really bright.. Are you going to add a right up of what parts you used and how you ran wires so others may give it a go?

Sure, Ill get some pictures of how I ran the wiring. As for parts I just used 8 5mm amber LEDs, with the resistors already soldered on, and heat shrink wrapped. I held them in place with some clear silicone. I used a 4 wire phone line, to run power since LEDs don't draw any real amount of power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you buy pre wired leds? did you use any type of sealant/adhesive when you pushed the led through the hole?

Back