How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Or does the 4.6L only come with aod/4R70 and the 5.4 only come with the E4oD/4R100?

Start at the beginning of the thread, the proper parts are listed there. The engine size determines which trans is in it, and that determines which length driveshaft is in it. So worry about the engine, 4.6 or 5.4 size. That gets you the right shaft.

My Parents have an 02 f150 5.4L FX4 with the 4r70 trans. I have also worked on 2 other (99, 01) f150's with the 5.4Ls and 4r70's in the last few weeks at my shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Everyone.
First off, Thank You for all the great information.

I have read this entire thread 5 times, as I am getting ready to swap in a manual 4406. I have a question about the "Brown Wire" coming out of the rear of the transfer case as pictured in the very first post.
Do I just leave it disconnected, or do I need to hook it up some way? And what exactly is it for?

I picked up everything I needed excpet the boot & upper lever for $120 at my local pick & pull, So prices have come way down.

Hello Everyone.
First off, Thank You for all the great information.

I have read this entire thread 5 times, as I am getting ready to swap in a manual 4406. I have a question about the "Brown Wire" coming out of the rear of the transfer case as pictured in the very first post.
Do I just leave it disconnected, or do I need to hook it up some way? And what exactly is it for?

I picked up everything I needed excpet the boot & upper lever for $120 at my local pick & pull, So prices have come way down.

The brown wire is for the electric clutch for use in a 4wd auto system. The clutch is a big electromagnet that engages the front drive shaft (not mechanical). If you have that then you most likely have shift motor on the back side of the transfercase as well. In that case it is not a manual 4406, rather it is a 4406 TOD transfercase with was used in the Expeditions and later model F150s..

The one I picked up looks exactly like the Transfer case pictured in the First post of this thread. The brown wire comes out the tail section right by the VSS sensor. I also have the mechanical linkage on the front side, no shift motor.

Leave it unhooked and forget about it.

The one I picked up looks exactly like the Transfer case pictured in the First post of this thread. The brown wire comes out the tail section right by the VSS sensor. I also have the mechanical linkage on the front side, no shift motor.

Hmm ok well then yeah just forget about it then.

Did this swap a month ago, very happy with it, thanks guys :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
THIS IS MY FINALY SWAP I DID

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 680

I'm about to install a super lift and I got the drive shaft with the kit. Will this shaft work with the 4406? What is the difference between the F150 front drive shaft and the explorer. Thanks for the help.

One big difference between the 2 is that the explorer front drive shaft has a double cardon U-joint at the transfercase end. The F150 one does not. However, the F150 drive shaft is a little longer. THe stock explorer front drive shaft will work with the 4406 and cause less vibration.

Thanks for the info. Does any one have the measurement on the two shafts. The front X and the 150?

Does any one have any expercience with the Superlift kit and the 4406 together.

Off hand I don't know either

Planning my swap and read so much I'm kind of spinning, I have a question about body lifts with this swap. I don't really want one but if it makes it easier to fit I will install one. In one of the threads I remember a lot of floor clearancing on the drivers side. If a body lift is needed does it need to be 3" or can it be less. I'm building my own bumpers and have a electric fan so could use 2" or 1" blocks too. Thanks in advance..

Parts waiting.
IMAG0300-M.jpg

body lift not required, without it the floor pan mods are not too much can not see them on the inside. fuel tank bracket will need mod also.
good luck on your swap...

x2 on the body lift. hell, for what its worth, my truck is dropped 2 inches. no problems what so ever.

x3 on the body lift. I didn't do a body lift for mine either. I didn't even have to clearance the floor (however, idk if it's different for a manual T-case vs. my TOD one). I did just have to trim off the extra casting tabs on the outside of the transfercase and everything fit fine.

I am having an issue with my Ex after the manual swap, and was wondering if anyone else ran into this too. If I pull the transfer case down into neutral, I can't get it back into any gear. It grinds, regardless of what the transmission is in, park or neutral. If I shut the engine off, it will go into either gear with a little bit of difficulty.

-Everything works fine once the transfer case is in gear.
-Transfer case comes out of gear into neutral just fine, no issues.
-Also, while the TC is in neutral, and the truck running, if I shift into Park I get that awful clicking noise as if I were still moving and threw it into park.
-Truck running, trans in Park or Neutral, and TC in neutral it sounds like the TC is spinning, as if the trans were in a forward gear.

I believe my problem is in the transmission, allowing the tailshaft to spin while the engine is running, but I have no idea what it could be. Thanks to the first snow of the year alerting me to the issue. And Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having an issue with my Ex after the manual swap, and was wondering if anyone else ran into this too. If I pull the transfer case down into neutral, I can't get it back into any gear. It grinds, regardless of what the transmission is in, park or neutral. If I shut the engine off, it will go into either gear with a little bit of difficulty.

-Everything works fine once the transfer case is in gear.
-Transfer case comes out of gear into neutral just fine, no issues.
-Also, while the TC is in neutral, and the truck running, if I shift into Park I get that awful clicking noise as if I were still moving and threw it into park.
-Truck running, trans in Park or Neutral, and TC in neutral it sounds like the TC is spinning, as if the trans were in a forward gear.

I believe my problem is in the transmission, allowing the tailshaft to spin while the engine is running, but I have no idea what it could be. Thanks to the first snow of the year alerting me to the issue. And Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
:)
I hope this doesn't indicate a transmission problem, because BOTH of our mountaineers with this swap did the same thing. I have learned with the engine running and moving to keep the shifter in 4h or 2h only. You must stop, and shift transmission to neutral or park to shift the transfer case to 4lo. If Transfer case lever gets bumped to neutral, engine must be turned off to get it back into park. ( or something like that--but you will learn to avoid it.):D

In other words, when this happens I have "messed up" --it is operator error.

Back