Nail in tire question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nail in tire question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my local small tire shop has plug patches , they push the plug through from the inside and it has a patch attached , id fix it either way and put it on the rear , also if you can take the wheel off and bring it to your tire place , if they ask its a spare ,

I’d certainly plug it. Plugs and patches are permanent repairs. I’ve had tires with less than 1,000 miles get punctured, and never had a repair leak or cause a problem. I see no reason to waste over $150 on a new tire.

One question is did you buy 4 new tires last time or 5? If only 4, how old is the spare? If very old then I'd think about putting the current tire there after patched.

I work as a tire tech and I've repaired lots of tires that have nails that close to the sidewall. If the object is straight in the tire and not angled towards the sidewall it should be repairable. I wouldn't be afraid to find someone who will patch it.

That's close but if the cords haven't already broken, plug it and watch it, I had that on my Eddie Bauer at one point, still holding too.

I’d certainly plug it. Plugs and patches are permanent repairs. I’ve had tires with less than 1,000 miles get punctured, and never had a repair leak or cause a problem. I see no reason to waste over $150 on a new tire.

I just put brand new toyos on my wife's explorer and not more then 2 weeks goes buy and she ran over a nail in almost the same place. I even have the hazard warranty on them, but rather then wasting part of my day at the tire shop, I just pulled it off and put a plug in it.

have it patched the plugs are a temp fix imho
roscoe
@roscoe 0202
I have plugged dozens upon dozens of tires with puncture holes which have continued to run until the tread wears out, without any trouble.

@roscoe 0202
I have plugged dozens upon dozens of tires with puncture holes which have continued to run until the tread wears out, without any trouble.
@Mbrooks420
I should add that as long ago as 1972, when I took over an ARCO service station dealership in Nevada, plugging a tire was already illegal in California! By now, maybe illegal in lots of places.

But not in my private shop! imp

@Mbrooks420
I should add that as long ago as 1972, when I took over an ARCO service station dealership in Nevada, plugging a tire was already illegal in California! By now, maybe illegal in lots of places.

But not in my private shop! imp
If you are in California tire plugs cause cancer and reproductive harm.

Well, tried 7 different places, and no one will touch it. So...have a Safety Seal plug kit on the way (thanks CDR)! Guess I'll be plugging my first tire this weekend. Don't think I really even need to remove the tire? Just puncture, plug, snip, and test/watch for leaks.

If anyone has any additional tips (other than already given in the earlier video) please let me know. Thanks again!

No need to remove the tire. No need to even air it down. I’m sure you’ll have no trouble, it’s extremely straightforward.

Looked up the safety seal kit. Ouch.

It's not hard to do at all. On the vehicle, rotate the tire so the nail/screw is about pointed 45* down, you have to be able to push hard into the hole with both the reamer and the plug/tool.

Have the tools ready, and a pair of pliers etc, to remove the nail or screw. Install one plug into the installation tool. Remove the nail etc, and then run the reaming tool into the hole, that's tough depending on the angle you have to push it in. The kits come with lubricant, it helps slightly to let the reamer go in more easily. I don't have that in my car/kit anymore, I forgot to put it back, n big deal without it.

Run the reamer in and out at least once. Then remove it and quickly grab the plug/tool and push it in. Slowly remove the tool while wiggling it slightly. The plug will stay inside. I like to use a razor blade to cut the protruding plug just above the tire tread. That's it. I repair a tire in a few minutes, air it up, and drive.

I also put some of the rubber cement that comes in the kit when I'm installing the plug on the plug itself, never had a problem doing that, makes slipping the plug in easier. Also different tires and different holes plug differently, as an FYI, I occasionally find one that plugs extremely easy.

@Mounty99
There are two kinds of plugs on the market, one type uses glue, the other does not, it's pre-glued with some crap. Never had luck with that kind. If you can find them, buy only Camel brand 15-179 Perma Strip Patches. They are about 1/4 X 1/4 X 2 inches long, with protective tape on both sides which is removed just prior to use. Called "patches", but are really plugs. I use a round rat-tail file to clean out the puncture hole, dip it in cement first so cement gets in the hole. Insert the plug into the slotted installation tool near the plug's mid-point, dip the plug in the can of cement then carefully push it into the hole, then twist the tool around about 1/2 turn and it will magically disengage from the plug as you slide the tool back out.

Don't know if the kit you ordered has similar operation as I've described. The tool can be bought separately along with cement and plugs. Last time I needed plugs, none of my local stores carried Camel brand, and the plugs they sold looked like crap. imp

I’ve never used cement on a plug, and don’t think I’ve ever had one leak, even with thin skinned ATV tires I raced on, including jumping 30-40ft doubles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Mounty99
There are two kinds of plugs on the market, one type uses glue, the other does not, it's pre-glued with some crap. Never had luck with that kind. If you can find them, buy only Camel brand 15-179 Perma Strip Patches. They are about 1/4 X 1/4 X 2 inches long, with protective tape on both sides which is removed just prior to use. Called "patches", but are really plugs. I use a round rat-tail file to clean out the puncture hole, dip it in cement first so cement gets in the hole. Insert the plug into the slotted installation tool near the plug's mid-point, dip the plug in the can of cement then carefully push it into the hole, then twist the tool around about 1/2 turn and it will magically disengage from the plug as you slide the tool back out.

Don't know if the kit you ordered has similar operation as I've described. The tool can be bought separately along with cement and plugs. Last time I needed plugs, none of my local stores carried Camel brand, and the plugs they sold looked like crap. imp

The Safety Seal brand plugs are self vulcanizing, they use no glue. They seal permanently by the heat of the tire. I've never had any plug leak, and I just bought more plugs last year(used up the first two kits worth). I also bought the new thinner size, maybe an 1/8" size, just to see if they might be better for thin nails etc. They work great.

Back