Nail in tire question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nail in tire question

Mounty99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer 5.0
1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 AWD; Michelin LTX M/S2

Hello all. As title states, have a nail in my tire and it can not be repaired (according to Costco). All tires are 7/32. I know these AWDs are very sensitive to different tire heights. What would you do here?

1. Buy a new tire, and have a different height on the one new tire? (transfer case issue?)
2. Buy four new tires and keep all tires the same? (money issue?)
3. Try to have it repaired by someone who will do it? (Safety issue...I do have a two year old with me pretty often, so don't want to do anything to put him ins danger).

Thanks for any advice to lead me in the right direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a picture. Thanks.

unnamed.jpg

I'd put a plug in it and mount it in the rear. Also I would use more rubber cement than the guy in the video and use a razor blade to cut the plug even with the tire.

It's close to the sidewall, that's why they said they can't fix it. It's a liability thing.

You can plug it, or maybe look around for another used tire either at a smaller tire shop, or look around on Craigslist. You may be able to find a full set of used wheels and/or tires cheap even.

Thanks fellas. I've always heard that a patch is better/more secure than a plug near the sidewall. Is this true? Just want to make sure the repair is as safe as possible with my two year old son riding around with me often. Thanks again.

It's close but certainly very repairable with a patch & plug method. Find some other place to do it. Or maybe ask a tech there if he would do it after hours for $25.

@Mounty99 Judging by the amount of tread left on the tire, looks like maybe 80% or more, if it were me, I would replace the one tire, and not worry about any "height difference". Ford "designed in" a certain amount of tolerance between tire size/speed of rotation. Think about the fact that when the vehicle is going in other than a straight line, no two tires are turning at exactly the same speed.
imp

I'd plug it and stick in in the rear, but if you're more comfortable with a new tire, buy one and have it shaved down to the same diameter as your other tires.

Thanks everyone. Gonna try the patch/plug option first, then go from there.

I'd plug it and stick in in the rear, but if you're more comfortable with a new tire, buy one and have it shaved down to the same diameter as your other tires.
@koda2000
I absolutely agree, but wonder.....who the hell is out there shaving down tires for a living? imp

@koda2000
I absolutely agree, but wonder.....who the hell is out there shaving down tires for a living? imp
Most larger scale tire shops can do it. Today’s AWD cars, and the expense of having to replace all 4 tires have made it a needed service.

Keep the tires as close to identical as possible. The damage and cost to the AWD transfer case is way more trouble than any tire costs. I'm about to rebuild my AWD that is completely locked up, I had to remove the front drive shaft because it destroyed the front differential in very little time(a couple of weeks after noticing the odd binding feel in tight turns).

That tire is easily plugged, I have plugged dozens like that, maybe 100+, and none every leaked. There are two kinds of plugs, one which is patented and requires no cement/glue, and all others that do. Search for "Safety Seal tire repair" and you can find the best kind. The kits are not cheap, but the tools are very strong and don't break or bend.
Safety Seal KAB30 Auto Lite Truck Kit Tire Repair Kit 30 Repairs in Storable Bag 656267100726 | eBay

The only kind of tire puncture that I'd worry about is one in the sidewall, or a very large object going through. Small punctures only require one plug, and the small hole typically does not seriously reduce the strength of the tire. I would worry about cheap quality tires, and large object punctures. I repair the rest and use good tires, I've never had a blown tire. Regards,

@koda2000

Many larger tire stores do it and have the equipment.

Plug it and worry about other things--

edit, you might stick it on the driver side rear for now, so you can periodically check on it through your side mirror.

I've seen new tires get full life after being plugged.

Plug it and worry about other things--

edit, you might stick it on the driver side rear for now, so you can periodically check on it through your side mirror.

I've seen new tires get full life after being plugged.

...And stay off race tracks and the Autobahn for a few days if anyhow possible. :burnout:

Get a new tire and have it shaved down. See if they'll wiggle on price (do shaving free) to get the business.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have it patched the plugs are a temp fix imho
roscoe

Back