202A spec without navigation! How to get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

202A spec without navigation! How to get?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Okay, so I bought an XLT for 38k with the 202A spec and I was told it came with navigation. Well... Apparently it doesn't so I'm screwed. I really wanted navigation to go through the MyFordTouch as I would like to utilize the system to the fullest. Now, then I asked the dealer and he said it could be an accessory option and he'd check for me. He then said it is all done by an SD card, so my friend let me borrow his SD card from his 2011 Edge to try it out. It doesn't work. Now I'm stumped. What can I do? Anyway I can get this navigation thing to work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the ford reps on face book it has to be factory installed and it is not possible to do it at a dealer. However you do get turn b turn gps with ford touch just no picture. Though I read somewhere you can up load google maps to work with it if you have a set distention in mind.

202A does not come with true navigation by itself. It's a $795 factory option on top of the the 202A package. As said above, you can get voice navigation through the MyFordTouch/Sync system.

Well, is there anyway to modify the system to get the navigation?

According to ford reps only at the factory

The google maps upload feature is all most people need, let alone the voice turn-by-turn directions. Do you really need a visual representation for $800 bucks? I received a Garmin GPS system 2 years ago for Xmas, haven't used it once. I live on my computer, work as a software developer so I'm not an elderly person who is allergic to technology, just haven't needed it. Google maps, a pen and paper have gotten the job done so far, so the voice turn-by-turn directions will be an upgrade for me.

Okay, how do I upload the google maps? Do I need a phone in order to use all these services because I'd be using up minutes.

The google maps upload feature is all most people need, let alone the voice turn-by-turn directions. Do you really need a visual representation for $800 bucks? I received a Garmin GPS system 2 years ago for Xmas, haven't used it once. I live on my computer, work as a software developer so I'm not an elderly person who is allergic to technology, just haven't needed it. Google maps, a pen and paper have gotten the job done so far, so the voice turn-by-turn directions will be an upgrade for me.

I have a GPS and use it plenty. If I ordered an Explorer that was supposed to come with navigation, I would want it. I think it's nice to have a picture, but maybe's that's just me.

In vehicle GPS is cool, but way too expensive in my opinion. Very nice portable GPS units can be had for under $200. I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS and use it all the time (even when I know where I'm going). Its nice to go off the beaten path and explorer an area knowing you can navigate and not become hopelessly lost.

It is especially nice when driving to congested cities like Boston where roads could be blocked (construction or traffic) and you need to change your route on the fly. A print out (like edge929 uses) just doesn't cut it when trying to navigate through one way streets in rush hour traffic..

I am not talking about a print off. I forget where I read it but I read you can load maps o. To my ford touch, maybe it is with a phone but I do remember reading it somewhere.

Check this item on eBay don't know if it works but much cheaper than ford Item number: 110639604995

Check this item on eBay don't know if it works but much cheaper than ford Item number: 110639604995

Here is the direct link to Ebay item 110639604995 (Ford's SD Navigation Card)

Ford SD Card info..

Basically from reading the info above if you have an 8" display your vehicle can have the FULL navigation system activated. If you have the smaller 4.2" display then only turn by turn (no map display) is available. So if you have the 8" display and obtain the Ford SD card you STILL need to have Ford (electronically enable the system to work).. For this they charge you a boat load of $$$..

Here is the direct link to Ebay item 110639604995 (Ford's SD Navigation Card)

Ford SD Card info..

Basically from reading the info above if you have an 8" display your vehicle can have the FULL navigation system activated. If you have the smaller 4.2" display then only turn by turn (no map display) is available. So if you have the 8" display and obtain the Ford SD card you STILL need to have Ford (electronically enable the system to work).. For this they charge you a boat load of $$$..

That makes sense. Saying the SD card just wouldn't work didn't make sense based on my knowledge of all things electronic and code. Setting a flag in the code to allow the navigation makes more sense and should be a simple software/firmware update to the MyFord Touch unit. There should be no difference between the MyFord Touch hardware between nav and non-nav units, it's just a "program" much like installing Office on your PC at home.

Edit - I read that article you linked. The Ford rep says in so many words that it really is just a setting within the MyFord Touch software (operating system?). If it can be jail-broken, then all you will need is the SD card assuming you already have the 8" screen.

Wait, so there's a difference in screen size? My friend gave me his SD card to test it out, it does not work with just the SD card... It is confirmed. I need the software and possibly some hardware like a GPS receiver.

Personally, i think the ford option is a huge ripoff. I have the 202A option on my order, but have no interest in being locked in to the built-in Ford supplied GPS system, as I feel it is too limited in its capabilities. I use a Gamin unit that I can pre-route in the comfort of my home, no upload/download necessary. I also have access to TOPO, custom and aerial maps, plus expandable memory to store all the maps I'll ever need. The Garmin unit cost me all of $175, can be safely stored out of sight and moved to other vehicles. It may just be me, but I don't see the value in what Ford is offering.

People you have to understand that there will also need to be some hardware to install in order to have navigation (ie. GPS reciever, antenna's and etc...) without these extra pieces of hardware to go along with the software it won't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

<--- loves his Garmin Nuvi

:)

Back