Console Vault for Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Console Vault for Explorer

Also mine has gaps even before using the bolts. Not sure why. Does anyone else's not fit edge to edge or is there a slight gap?
gDjJx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Console Vault Ford Explorer 2016 4x4

Order from GunSafe.com #1039 The instructions were for a 2011, also not totally enclosed no bottom. To me a safe is a totally enclosed box. Using the mounting screws to the side was not in the listing on there product, it stated mount to the bottom. Will be returning to them. Have not found a console safe made for Ford Explorer 2016 4x4 Platinum that is like the one's for early Explorer that are completely enclosed box. Also the opening is very small and getting a Taurus Raging Judge M513 stainless 3 inch is in possible. :salute:

I'm thinking about one of these for my 14 Limited. To everyone with the console vault safe, Can you still access the Intelligent Key Fob holder inside the console incase you need to?

Is this a reliable solid and secure safe to store my firearm in if need be? I've just never left my pistol in my vehicle before...

Vic

I'm thinking about one of these for my 14 Limited. To everyone with the console vault safe, Can you still access the Intelligent Key Fob holder inside the console incase you need to?

Is this a reliable solid and secure safe to store my firearm in if need be? I've just never left my pistol in my vehicle before...

Vic

That's actually a really good question about FOB access I would guess no access since its a metal box insert, but isnt the storage of firearms anywhere more of a statutory regulation by Federal/State/Provincial Law?

Yes you can access the fob. It's in there pretty strong.

Your Ex is looking great.

What make / model wheels are those black ones with the Ford center cap? Really a nice look.

Also, how was the installation of the Console Vault? I want to get one for mine but didn't know how much of a pain installation would be. I'd like a decent, easy to access but secure storage place for stuff.
THANKS for any info.

Thanks!

They're actually wheel skins.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381754347662?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The console vault is easy. It drops in, and then there are two bolts.

I still like it, but I was surprised and a little disappointed that it isn't a complete box. There's no bottom; it's just the bottom of the console compartment. It's the top, front, back, and sides. The sides are split, and hinged, so the back swings forward to allow it through the console opening, then back to fit. Then you put in the bolts. They don't penetrate the plastic of the console, but press it out, so it will mark it, but not put holes in it. It's not perfect, but it's at least as good as having one of the ones that goes on the floor with a cable.

1039ConsoleVaultOpen.jpg

The lighter part on the side is the part that swings forward, and then there's the bolt hole.

I added a magnet on each side, ones that are coated to prevent scratches, to hold my pistol upright. I am going to change the bolts that come with it for something like a rounded head hex bolt, because the bolt heads are a bit sharp, and I end up hitting them when I take hold of the grip of the pistol.

There are some gaps that will allow small things to move under the edges, which becomes a pain, because you have to take it out to get to them. It's only happened once, because I learned my lesson, but I had to take it out to get a small screwdriver, and a USB drive out of the console.

The other negative is that you can't have anything plugged into the outlet, and still get the vault opened. That's left me forced to use the one in the smaller front compartment for my phone, and that door won't close with the wire coming through it, so I ended up taking a Dremel to the edge to make room for the wire.

You can set the combo on the mechanical one, but don't ever forget it, because there's no override.

I still like it, but I was surprised and a little disappointed that it isn't a complete box. There's no bottom; it's just the bottom of the console compartment. It's the top, front, back, and sides. The sides are split, and hinged, so the back swings forward to allow it through the console opening, then back to fit. Then you put in the bolts. They don't penetrate the plastic of the console, but press it out, so it will mark it, but not put holes in it. It's not perfect, but it's at least as good as having one of the ones that goes on the floor with a cable.

1039ConsoleVaultOpen.jpg

The lighter part on the side is the part that swings forward, and then there's the bolt hole.

I added a magnet on each side, ones that are coated to prevent scratches, to hold my pistol upright. I am going to change the bolts that come with it for something like a rounded head hex bolt, because the bolt heads are a bit sharp, and I end up hitting them when I take hold of the grip of the pistol.

There are some gaps that will allow small things to move under the edges, which becomes a pain, because you have to take it out to get to them. It's only happened once, because I learned my lesson, but I had to take it out to get a small screwdriver, and a USB drive out of the console.

The other negative is that you can't have anything plugged into the outlet, and still get the vault opened. That's left me forced to use the one in the smaller front compartment for my phone, and that door won't close with the wire coming through it, so I ended up taking a Dremel to the edge to make room for the wire.

You can set the combo on the mechanical one, but don't ever forget it, because there's no override.

THANKS. Ordering one today. We're required to have weapons pretty well secured if we leave them in our cars. The patrol PIU Explorers have that big vault in the back but our POV civilian Explorers need something like this. I'll have to see if I can Jerry-Rig a workaround for the limitation on the outlet in the box. I have a cupholder RAM Mount with a wireless charger that plugs into that outlet.

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381754347662?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

1039ConsoleVaultOpen.jpg

OK, ordered the vault for my Ex. I gave thought to your warning about losing small items in the gaps and I was also concerned about things (cameras, phones, etc.) getting scratched on the metal surfaces so I plan on using some black felt material to line the inside (may use thin cardboard or plastic to make a sub-enclosure). I have those "gun magnets" in my home gunsafe so I may follow your idea to put the gun in a proper position inside.

OK, ordered the vault for my Ex. I gave thought to your warning about losing small items in the gaps and I was also concerned about things (cameras, phones, etc.) getting scratched on the metal surfaces so I plan on using some black felt material to line the inside (may use thin cardboard or plastic to make a sub-enclosure). I have those "gun magnets" in my home gunsafe so I may follow your idea to put the gun in a proper position inside.

When you get it, you might want to look at some smooth bolts/pan head screws. I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow, to find something that won't knick my hand. I'm probably going to go with something that requires a hex wrench, to make it harder to remove, just because I'm extra cautious. I use the same on my tag, which will make it difficult should anyone ever think about stealing it.

When you get it, you might want to look at some smooth bolts/pan head screws. I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow, to find something that won't knick my hand. I'm probably going to go with something that requires a hex wrench, to make it harder to remove, just because I'm extra cautious. I use the same on my tag, which will make it difficult should anyone ever think about stealing it.

I may go with button heads or those little plastic caps that you pound down on bolt heads, etc. that round and smooth them out.

Does anyone have a link to the vault? (It was probably posted..oops)

There is also a hard locking box for the rear of the vehicles, for those who do not have the rear airconditioning. Its an Interceptor item, and will require a new driver-side cargo trim piece along with the box

Was there any followup on this? The boxes on our police PIUs are the big ones sitting on the spare tire well.

I may go with button heads or those little plastic caps that you pound down on bolt heads, etc. that round and smooth them out.

1/4 x 20 (28?) x 1" screws, nice and round, require a hex bit to install. I ended up also drilling the plastic, because the self tappers only marked it.

IMG_20170304_160606.jpg
IMG_20170304_160619.jpg

Magnet on each side. They have to be angled if you want to be able to remove the vault without removing the magnets.

Thanks!

1039ConsoleVaultOpen.jpg

Can you post a picture of where you used the dremel to make the hole for the wire? Also, how did you soften up the interior of it? I was thinking of possibly lining it with some felt in order to keep things from hitting the metal inside.

I bought one of those extra "coin trays" from amazon but it does not fit in there because the dial sticks out too far, I was thinking of possibly making a hole in the tray so the dial can go through it and I would still be able to stick stuff in it.

Thanks!

Are you talking about the cubby at the front of the console? Earlier models didn't have the 'notch' already built in? That seems....silly. Also like a huge oversight on Ford's part. :-/

20170301_143430.jpg

Are you talking about the cubby at the front of the console? Earlier models didn't have the 'notch' already built in? That seems....silly. Also like a huge oversight on Ford's part. :-/

View attachment 95965

NO such notch on my 2013. Wonder if I can just swap the door? Would you mind measuring and posting? Would look much cleaner than me using a chainsaw on mine.

NO such notch on my 2013. Wonder if I can just swap the door? Would you mind measuring and posting? Would look much cleaner than me using a chainsaw on mine.

Sure, I can measure it for you, but the door is likely identical to yours. The console itself is what actually has the notch cut into it.

Maybe Ford finally realized what a huge oversight it was to not have said notch included and finally added it (maybe in 2016)? It's a shame it took that long to address it, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure, I can measure it for you, but the door is likely identical to yours. The console itself is what actually has the notch cut into it.

Maybe Ford finally realized what a huge oversight it was to not have said notch included and finally added it (maybe in 2016)? It's a shame it took that long to address it, though.

You're right, it's the console body and not the door that has the notch. Thanks anyway.

Back