Gas modified by Acetone results | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas modified by Acetone results

I am seriously considering doing a long term study on this, see if 2-4mo of acetone, then switch back to no acetone. I'm thinking about it because it requires no real work, just jotting down the numbers. THen I'll run the statistical analysis. I can test the cleaning hypothesis easily, if it is cleaning you should see a gradual increase (unless it works well and is an instant increase) and then when I stop I should see a gradual decrease again. Though to compensate for subconscious manipulation, I should really have someone else determing the acetone yes or no and what amount is in there, to avoid experimenter bias. Either way though, I still think that I can pull off "moderately" scientific test, most would consider it scientific but being a scientist I am able to spot all the flaws ;) .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Screw the acetone test, we need a brew that will get some serious results on the first tank! :D Hows about 40:1 gas to nitro methenol. Now thats a kick in the pants :confused:

how about 4:1 gas to hydrazine (H2NN2H) also known as rocket fuel ;-)

PedroDaGr8 said:
how about 4:1 gas to hydrazine (H2NN2H) also known as rocket fuel ;-)

Umm, OK, but who's going to carry around the breathing gear, body suit and vent hood needed for adding the anhydrous hydrazine to the fuel tank? ;) Heck, let's just add a LOX injection system while we're at it? Same idea as nitrous oxide, but imagine NOS as PURE Oxygen sprayed in the intake instead of only being 20% or so of the mixture. Oh, wait- none of these guys (myself included) want to have to drive to the local University chemistry lab or NASA facility every time they fill up, which would probably be a total of ONCE before any of the above made their Explorer into an ExploDer. :fire: :D :roll:

Anyway, back to the Acetone follies.

Well I have been using acetone for a while now and I have not had any significant changes in milage. On the flip side, my truck is running realy smooth. I think for me its a bust. I tried it in my Jetta and got about 1 or 2 MPG better. It was only the 2nd tank though. I'm still a little confused as to how some say you need to run it for a few tanks to see a difference. Or is just to get a good average?

One thing I was wondering, if you have ever gotten this stuff on your hands, it feels like some just put ice cubes on it. I wonder what it would do if you used some type of injection system and ran it like a water/alcohol injection. Maybe set it up to kick in around quarter throttle and off by three guarter throttle since that is where my foot spends most its time. If I could get things on the cheap, I would try it. Maybe use a NOS system or something. :confused:

Fourth trip using 1oz/10gals after about 7 tankfuls
Miles = 342
Fuel consumed = 13.0 gallons[/FONT][/COLOR]
Calculated mileage = 26.3 mpg

26.3 mpg with an OHV, automatic, 3.73 rear, 4 door, AND 4wd?

Sorry if I am a little skeptical.

26.3 mpg with an OHV, automatic, 3.73 rear, 4 door, AND 4wd?

Sorry if I am a little skeptical.

And I also am currently getting 16-18 mpg in combined city/highway driving, AND 21.5 mpg for my normal work day commute.

One thing I was wondering, if you have ever gotten this stuff on your hands, it feels like some just put ice cubes on it. I wonder what it would do if you used some type of injection system and ran it like a water/alcohol injection. Maybe set it up to kick in around quarter throttle and off by three guarter throttle since that is where my foot spends most its time. If I could get things on the cheap, I would try it. Maybe use a NOS system or something. :confused:

The reason it felt cool was evaporation.
I mentioned this thread to my father, he told me a a guy he worked with in the early 60's at an alfalfa pellet mill. They used acetone for testing- to break down protiens.
His buddy would steal whole cans, ran it in his car straight and it had good power. For a month. I guess it burned up his valves.
Hey, he worked in a lab. :rolleyes:

I like this warning disclaimer on that site...

I recall saying almost exactly the same thing WAY ^^^^ in this thread.

Acetone and Your EngineAcetone is known to deteriorate cheap plastics and other substances. While the components in a car's fuel system should be of high quality, and thus immune to any deleterious effects from exposure to acetone, be aware that "ideal" is not always the case in practice. Be advised that not all systems have been tested against acetone. Until such thorough testing has been accomplished and certified by a accredited authority, you assume your own liability for experimentally testing acetone in your particular system.

cheep fuel system cleaner? cool !!!!!!!!!!

Myth Busters

Anyone see the myth busters episode about fuel economy? It used Acetone in one test carbureted and fuel-injected and the results were worse.

Anyone see the myth busters episode about fuel economy? It used Acetone in one test carbureted and fuel-injected and the results were worse.

Yes I have. Their test was far less than 'comprehensive'.;)

MYTHBUSTERS tried it and the myth was BUSTED, no mileage running acetone in your tank.

Sorry but I have to take issue with the Mythbuster dudes, I know for a fact when I use it my mpg's goes up, 16.5 mpg to 19.5 mpg, when I stop using it my mpg's come back down, 19.5 to 16.5, so being of average intelligence I can deduce that I definitely get an advantage by using the acetone so I use it all the time now. I tested it for well over a year now and am a firm believer in the benefits. The engine also runs smoother at idle on a regular diet of 2oz. per 10 gallons of 87 octane fuel. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if it works for you, then do it, if it doesn't work for you, don't.

MYTHBUSTERS tried it and the myth was BUSTED, no mileage running acetone in your tank.

Mythbusters don't exactly follow scientific method much...Remember, it's an ENTERTAINMENT show, not a science lab. They only tested for one ratio of gas to acetone, and over a very short time.

They make "scientific" mistakes in most of their shows. Off the top of my head, the one that comes to mind first is the windows down vs. A/C myth. They never swapped vehicles to see if the results were consistent. D'oh! :confused:

How much are you really saving when you factor in the cost of the acetone?

How much are you really saving when you factor in the cost of the acetone?

Here is some of my math from page 2;
Based on my 2004 records, I traveled 15,600 miles with a 15.44 mpg average.

Using these numbers;
15,600 miles@15.44 ave=1,009.92 gal
1mpg improvement over 15.44=6.47%*1,010gal=65.4 gal less
2:10 ratio would have required 1.47 gal of acetone @$14.00/gal= $20.67

65.4 gal*$2.40/gal=$156.96- $20.67= net savings of $136.29

It doesn't take much savings to overcome the cost of a gallon of acetone, especially since the ratios are so low. 1 gal=128oz which treats 640 gallons of gas at 2oz:10gal.

As for the Mythbusters test, like I said 'less than comprehensive'.

Yes, I still use it. coming up on 2 years now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where Can You Purchase Acetone?

Back