Rear Bumper Project.

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Ok, so I decided to try my hand at fabricating a rear bumper and coming up with something to kinda match my front.

I had some steel cut and had them put some rough cursory bends in.

Some of this steel is also going toward my SAS, but I measured things out and ordered it with enough to pretty much cover both projects.
The first shot is the side plates that are going to replace the chrome between the original bumper and the rear wheels...I'll be cutting the thin metal behind the chrome to make room.

rearbumper001.jpg

Some 3/8 angle, maybe brackets...I'm bouncing 2 ideas around at the moment.

rearbumper002.jpg

A 67" piece of 10 gauge that'll be the outer shell, it's rough because I'm planning on putting a few angles into it to make it look sharp and somewhat match the front.
Top step is 10 inches wide, rear is 9 inches high and it's bent in to 8 inches...if that makes sense.

rearbumper003.jpg

The 4x4x50x1/4" Box Tube I'm using for my air tank...in this shot I just cut the cap for one end.

rearbumper004.jpg

The Tube.

rearbumper005.jpg

The end caps.

rearbumper006.jpg

This piece is probably going to end up as part of the brakets.

rearbumper009.jpg

The box tube sealed with a threaded port for the quick connect for an air hose.

rearbumper012.jpg

rearbumper013.jpg

Done with the air tank- I ground down the welds a little and cleaned it up, then tested to see if it held air...130psi and not a peep.

rearbumper014.jpg

By the way if this comes out the way I want it to- which basically means looks half decent

1 - 2001 Explorer XLT Chrome Rear Bumper
2 - Opposing side Chrome Plastic thingys

Free to a needy Local Home! First come first serve!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, the 1/4" box tube was overkill, way too heavy so I opted to try an 1/8" box tube...it worked out way lighter.

The new air tank-

rearbumper-005.jpg

rearbumper-001.jpg

rearbumper-002.jpg

rearbumper-003.jpg

rearbumper-004.jpg

rearbumper-006.jpg

rearbumper-007.jpg

rearbumper-008.jpg

I made some cuts and I'll have to cut the welds on the old tank so I can put the new air tank in...then fab up the sides and brackets.

That's some work there!

I figure by the time I'm done with this I'll have practiced enough welding to make perfect welds for the SAS.

My welder and I are just getting to know each other. :D

I cant wait to see the end result. Its nice taking on projects such as this. Have lots of fun doing it.

I can't wait to see the finished product too...every time I get working on it I come up with something more to add... :p

Brief update...

pictures001.jpg

pictures002.jpg

pictures003.jpg

pictures004.jpg

pictures2001.jpg

pictures2002.jpg

pictures2003.jpg

I'll be putting it on the truck in a little while...not quite done with it. I've got to put a hinge for a rear tire carrier, hi-jack mount, CB antenna mount...and a few other things...like a light guard...I'm still working it out. If anything pulling it back off to do more work will allow me to straighten out the paint job.

It has one heavy coat of POR-15 and 2 coats of Black-Coat (Chasis paint).

It's a little cheesey- looks like wrinkle paint in spots. :D

Thats one helluva bumper. Ill bet people will pay close attention as to not run into you :D

Mounted...

rearbumpermounted001.jpg

rearbumpermounted002.jpg

rearbumpermounted005.jpg

rearbumpermounted006.jpg

rearbumpermounted007.jpg

rearbumpermounted008.jpg

now to figure out the tire carrier...I had thought of something that would mount from the holes you see from the rear picture...

But hows it look??? I don't think it's bad for a first try... :D

I still have to reroute the hoses for the air tank...

All I can say is :eek: ! I really like how the thing follows the contours of the body perfectly...just hope you don't hafta chop out your fenders on down the line.

Looks great! I'm sure it looks more balanced now with that front bumper of yours.

Actually on the 2nd Gen there's those chrome plastic skirts??? I had to cut that thin piece of metal that was behind it, but I think this is a much better deal than a cheap piece of plastic and a flimsy piece of metal. :D

Thanks!

Very nice work!

Your SAS is going to go well with that kind of fabrication skills! :eek:

:cool: Nice job, clean! so how long have you been welding?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope the SAS goes as smoothly as this went...but then I've got it all worked out in my head already...I'm going to start measuring for bracketry. I'll start rebuilding the axle this week. Honestly, I have no idea where the bumper project came from- I have the attention span of a gnat! My girl says I've got adult attention deficit disorder...I'm in 50 places at one time. :D

I've only been welding since I bought the WeldPak 3200...which was fairly recent. I've used cutting torches and B-tanks in the past. This was my first major project...the only other thing I've built using the welder was a dual battery tray.

The air port faces straight down...I'm going to be putting guards on the outer sides and just outside of the hatch opening...when I figure out the tire carrier I'll route the air lines so the quick connect is accessible without reaching under...

The guards on the outer edges are going to be there to rip off car mirrors- someone left a 1" wide stripe down side off the truck while it was parked...the outer guards should cure any future stupidity. ;)

Back