Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,029
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,071
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless I missed, what locker(s) are you going with?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I bought Felix/Colin's old Detroit EZ for the front. I'm just going to run that through the winter unless A) I come across a ****load of ca$h for ARBs, or B) Someone gives me ARBs, or C) I steal someone's ARBs. I'll be employeed (with a real job) by March so they'll come right around then if they hadn't already. :D

the warning for the EZ locker says "dont run with over 33" tires"

:dunno:

I guess we will see.

Well I traded some favors for it. So I won't have a lot invested in it. :D It should do a little snow-wheelin though.

I can always throw my old 33" MT/Rs on my rock crawlers. :p:

Why did colin go to the aussie from this? :confused:

section525 said:
Well I traded some favors for it.

I never thought one would stoop so low for 4wd parts. :wtf:

wow Its taken me over an hour to rear this, understand everything and save pictures for my Full width axle swap that is happening here in about 3 weeks. I am pumped! I have 2 friends who weld all their own stuff up professionally, and another guy or two who really know their custom fabrication skills well. We are all gogin to attack this in one long long weekend.

My only questions are:

1) can the stock steering box be left in place for the time being and upgrading at a later time?

2) How in gods name do you measure what shocks you need when everythign is together?

sn0border88 said:
I never thought one would stoop so low for 4wd parts. :wtf:

It's called 'pay it forward'..

It's my turn with Colin. : :wavey:

on a 91 truck you can use the stock steering box when you go SAS, BUT you should consider re-enforcing the frame

Measuring for shocks is pretty straight forward, cycle the suspension to full droop and full bump, making sure nothing will bind or be working over its limits (U joints steering linkage, etc) measure for shocks, install bump stops and limit straps to keep the shocks from pulling apart or bottoming out.

pretty sure all this is convered in the 47K SAS threads on the Explorer Forum :)
its becoming quite trendy! hahahaha okay so its been trendy, its also made the big dawg Explorers a force to be reckoned with in the 4x4 world....

tdavis said:
It's called 'pay it forward'..

It's my turn with Colin. : :wavey:

This concept must not have caught-on outside of California yet? :dunno:

410Fortune said:
on a 91 truck you can use the stock steering box when you go SAS, BUT you should consider re-enforcing the frame

Measuring for shocks is pretty straight forward, cycle the suspension to full droop and full bump, making sure nothing will bind or be working over its limits (U joints steering linkage, etc) measure for shocks, install bump stops and limit straps to keep the shocks from pulling apart or bottoming out.

pretty sure all this is convered in the 47K SAS threads on the Explorer Forum :)
its becoming quite trendy! hahahaha okay so its been trendy, its also made the big dawg Explorers a force to be reckoned with in the 4x4 world....

Thank you! I always search here and the web vefore asking questions, well witht he exception of the shock question :rolleyes:

Thanks for the relpy! Any chance you SAS guys are heading to the badlands November 18-19? I will be there, hopefully with my SAS all finished up!

We deicded to install the gears ourselves. So.. that may happen this weekend. :cool:

Did you do yours IZ?

You should do a "how to" writeup on the regear of the rear differential :D

section525 said:
Did you do yours IZ?
I did the front D44 - the 14b rear was already done

Tips? For the front. Is there anything about it in your loooong ass SAS thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back