Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included)

if the bolts are mega tight or rusted (i live in manitoba, canada and they salt the crap out of our roads in the winter) can you use the "blue wrench" (torch to heat up the bolts)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We don't use salt here, no rust issues really.
I'm just worried about the locktite being frozen, that's all.

camber adjusters...?

It's not recommended, it's an exact math.. and it needs to be near perfect.. for your safety and the people around you.. I suggest you go to a shop with the proper equipment.

Plus, no need to do any damage to your truck that might cost you x5+ more than the alignment itself.

gotcha. also i know this has nothing to do with this thread but ive heard that doing a body lift messes up your truck somehow... any insight on this?

Depending on what kinda body lift, you may need to extend some lines.. but usually not.. any type of lift makes your center of gravity higher.. you have to adjust your driving habits to the lifted truck..

sorry one more question at what tire size do you have to "regear" also what does that mean haha

I'm running 31's, stock 3.73LS. I would say 32 and higher you would want to re-gear. As for an explanation for gears.. I would suggest searching, not to be rude. But we're straying off topic way too much now.

BTW, I PM'd you.

Alright so after reading the initial post....i still have some questions.....my explorer is a sport 2wd, you say you can go more cuz there is no more cv joints, wut would anyone recomend to stop highting to if i wanted to go more than 2".....2nd how many turns on the torsion bolt does it take to get to 2" approx. .......im hoping to do this simple lift and add a leafs for the rear and maybe 32 if theyll fit after all this....

98Exploader- It takes different numbers of turns for every one. As for how much more you can tt, you can twist as much as you want. The only problem is the more you twist the stiffer the front end gets and the harder it gets to get a good alignment.

98Exploader- It takes different numbers of turns for every one. As for how much more you can tt, you can twist as much as you want. The only problem is the more you twist the stiffer the front end gets and the harder it gets to get a good alignment.

so how did you guys do it just count how many turns on each side even the number and measure....until you got to 2" and then do the process over again if you werent there???????.........and also dont go more than 2" your saying???????

You want to measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch before you start. Then crank until you think you are there and measure again, until you get it right. I know that many guys with 2wd have gone more than 2". Maybe someone will let use know how far before they had alignment issues.

98exploader I had forgot you can't do add-a-leafs with a sport unless you swap leafs in from a 4door model.

Yeah thats wut i keep hearing (theres only one leaf) so im gunna do shackles and a leaf pack. now i just got find some place to get shackles and leaf packs......Anyone know of a place to get these for cheap....someone mentioned a guy on ebay builds his own and sells them so may go with those

How exactly do you figure if your truck is level or not? The top of the wheel well in the back are lower..? Could using a leveler on the running board help?.. or are they naturally at an angle?

Where Do You Measure At When You Are Twisting It To See How High It Went

I just measured from the top of the tread of the wheel to the bottom of the outer fender for the first measurement and just compared

And at storlied, I just went by looks really, You can usually tell if it's pretty level if you look at it enough

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few more Questions!
Just to Clarify, Tightening (Clockwise) RAISES the height and loosening it lowers it, correct?
Does anyone know how much change one full revolution of the bolt head raises or lowers the vehicle? i.e. - one turn is about 1/8" etc.??
Great writeup! thanks!!

Back