• Register Today It's free!

turnin off the door chime

InS0mNiAc

Reaction score
City, State
Chatsworth, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
and yes i did a search but did not find the asnwer. What fuse controls the door chime? Can't find it in the manual. I know that it's not that big of a deal, but when people are lookin at my system or something and the keys are in acc mode that chime gets pretty annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have a 2002 right? on my 2002 if u turn the key all the way up (right before u start the car), it doesn't chime at all.

ya, im talkin when the car is in acc mode

i know there is like a code you can do... with turning the key on off and on ext.. i dont know what it is.. but i know a few people have done it... or maybe that was the seatbelt thing.. i dont rember... somone here should know

I have a 94 Ex, and its more than likely different on yours, but underneath the dash I found the little box that makes the chime sound. It was right near the bottom of the dash, and if I remember I think it was brown. It has a plug that you can just take out.

You could cut the wire coming from the ignition lock cylinder itself, then it would still warn you about leaving your headlights on.....

please give more info, that chimes is driving me crazy, thinking about selling just for that reason.

i know theres a pattern for the seat belt thing to turn it off in the manual but i can't get it ever to work.... i dont know about the door chime.

Originally posted by brownbagg
please give more info, that chimes is driving me crazy, thinking about selling just for that reason.

I fyou cannot find the box that is making the noise(it should be pretty obvious under the dash when it is dinging), then cut the wire that goes to the ignition. The igniton is accsesed by taking off the plastic surrounding the steering wheel column. The Switch you put your key in should have a wire coming out of it, cut it.

The chime unit is behind the radio unit. If you pull it out, on the left side toward the steering wheel, you will see a black box with a good number of wires coming out of it. The set of wires on the bottom of the box is the set for the chimes. I'm in the same boat as you pretty much....wanna cut out the key dinging and the door but keep my headlights and such.

all i do is use my finger and pish in the fist piece of whre the door latch is. In other words making the car think the door is closed.

pull a fuse one by one until it stops...vary things go into a fuse, so you probaly cant do that but it doesnt hurt

I got an idea for you to try. Working from the idea 'boominXplorer' used. The door switch probably works by either grounding or un-grounding the circuit. So pull the door switch and either run a wire to permenantly ground the circuit or cut a wire to open the circuit. I have not messed with it, but I would think this should work.

Messing with the door switch also messes with the circuit that turns on the interior lights, so that is a bad idea....

Back