and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Wipers won't park & only work on Hi

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by vevalachris, December 3, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. vevalachris

vevalachris New Member

City, State:
      Marysville,wa
      Year and Model:
      94 xploder
      94' xploder and the wipers wont go to park & only works on high. I've done a little diggin and cant really get a feel of what is wrong. Is it the mult switch on the column? Is it the wiper motor? Is it too old to have a GEM module? Is it a relay? Help me out Please

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! Some Fords come with a wiper module. I pulled one out from a Grand Marquis which had the same problem. Check Autozone's website for a schematic to see if you have this part.

4. Darrman

Darrman Active Member

City, State:
      Waxahachie, TX
      Year and Model:
      '92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
      Sounds like the same problems I had with my '92, turned out to be the wiper motor.

5. Turdle

Turdle Check it out Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty
      The 2nd gens have a wiper park -run relay-and a wiper hi- lo relay--yes, 2 relays

You might check this out--:D I'm not sure about the first gen's

6. vevalachris

vevalachris New Member

City, State:
      Marysville,wa
      Year and Model:
      94 xploder
      I checked the fuse panel by the battery and didnt find any relay for the wipers. There are about 6 relays for other stuff but no wipers. If it was the motor wouldn't it not work all together? Doesn't the multi switch regulate the amount of current sent to the wiper motor with is only a one speed motor. The less current you send to the motor the slower the moter goes? If the multi switch is broke its just like turning it off and on. These are just my thoughts. I dont want to start replacing stuff without knowing for sure. New multi switch from schmucks is $120

7. Darrman

Darrman Active Member

City, State:
      Waxahachie, TX
      Year and Model:
      '92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
      Well, thats kinda what I thought, so I replaced the MFS, did absolutely nothing to help. No, there is circuits in the motor housing itself and apparantly ocasionally they can go bad. Mine would only work in hi, and had no memory of where they were, turn it off and they would just stop wherever they were. If you turned the switch on and off in the delayed mode they would twitch.
      However if you end up needing a MFS I still have my original, it was in great shape when I took it out.

8. mikeinri

mikeinri Well-Known Member

Year and Model:
      04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
      "I dont want to start replacing stuff without knowing for sure."

I hear that! Get a voltmeter, turn on the wipers and check the voltage at the leads on the motor. If you're getting the correct voltage with the switch turned on (low then high), it's the motor. If not, start working back toward the switch, fuses, etc.

Hope this helps.

Mike

9. vevalachris

vevalachris New Member

City, State:
      Marysville,wa
      Year and Model:
      94 xploder
      OK...So its been a month and I have changed the mult switch and the wiper motor. Still only works on hi what else should I check?

10. malsell

malsell New Member

City, State:
      Horse Cave, KY
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT
      fix

I don't know if you or anone else is still having this problem, but mine messed up and started doing the same thing about 2 weeks ago. To me, it didn't make any sense for it to be the switch because it wasn't intermitant. Most of the time a variable switch will only go dead in all positions, or one or two...Also, I knew from older style wipers (Mustangs, Thunderbirds and LTD's) the high setting is both windings of the motor, if the motor was bad, the high setting would work at half speed. My radio didn't start right up on Monday and I just dicided to see if i could hear anything. I heard a click inside the dash when I turned the wipers on. Inbetween the Steering Column and the heater controls and just above the annoying door chime is the control box. I broke this loose from the dash(as it was much easier than trying to take the screws out) and brought it in the house to inspect. The cover is easily removed and a printed circuit board is inside. There are several Resisters and Diods on the board as well as the Relay. I examined the resisters and diodes first due to the smell that came from the box, but all of the componets physically looked fine and from that smell, normally there will be physical signs of burning on the componet. I flipped the board over to examine the traces to see if it was something i missed. One of the solder joints was gone from the relay. I just simply re-soldered the connection and now they work like a charm. This board has simple componets. I will try to get a schematic of this board and post it at a later date.

11. vevalachris

vevalachris New Member

City, State:
      Marysville,wa
      Year and Model:
      94 xploder
      I actually figured out the problem. It was some sort of control box that was behind the ashtray. Found one at a pull-a-part. plugged it in and now everything works.

12. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    13. vevalachris

vevalachris New Member

City, State:
      Marysville,wa
      Year and Model:
      94 xploder
      I dont. Before I went to the junk yard I crawled under the dash and took a picture with my camera phone. Then I went to the junk yard looking for the same box in the same location. I noticed some had a metal module in the same spot but couldnt tell if that was a newer or older vehicle. The unit is held in by two torx screws that are in slotted holes and only needed to be partly unscrewed and then unpluged to take it out. If I only know this would of been my first step and not my last.

14. BrooklynBay

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    15. dansfordtruck

dansfordtruck New Member

my wipers where iced up to the windshild and turned the wipers on and didn't relize i didn't turn them off all the way. now the they only work on hi but are slow. the sprayer still work but wipers don't move unless i crank them up all the way. sometime it doesnt work at all and the next day it does but still not how they should. is it the module or what? 95 ford f 150 4.9L 4x4.

16. ForeverFixin

ForeverFixin New Member

City, State:
      Vancouver BC
      Year and Model:
      94 xlt
      Sorry to tell ya, but it sounds like you cooked the motor. If it makes you feel any better I have done the same thing being too lazy to brush heavy snow off the windshield and just trying to use the wipers to clear the windshield.

17. Caejxr

Caejxr Active Member

City, State:
      Booooooooost....
      Year and Model:
      '97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
      Just thought I'd add to the info on here... My wipers were having the lame issues...Do yourself a favor if you have a problem like this and check the relays first so you dont wind up going through the hassle of taking the shrouds off of your steering coloumn and removing a perfectly good multifunction switch and having to return a new one you spent 64 bucks on (stealership wanted $123.) Or worse, trying to replace wipermotors that are perfectly fine.

Anyhow.

Swap your horn relay(relay 1) (provided your horn works) with relay 2 (wiper run relay) and see if that fixed it. If that doesn't work try putting that horn relay into relay 3 (wiper high/low relay) spot. That should tell you which relay is goin out or if it's even a relay issue. Start with the easy fix first It could end up saving you time and money. (thats the relay numbers for a second gen fuse box though . I dunno if !st gen is the same.)

18. james87

james87 New Member

City, State:
      walkerton, Va
      Year and Model:
      94 xlt sport 4x4
      Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a question, has anyone obtained a picture of this said box that they can post? I looked under there and all I see is a bunch of stuff lol. Sorry I am sort of learning as I go but I am having this same problem. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.

19. trkmec

trkmec New Member

City, State:
      LYNNWOOD,WA
      Year and Model:
      91 EXPLORER
      sorry i do not have a picture at the moment , the control box on my 91 explorer is located behind the dash (inside the explorer) to the passenger
      side of the steering column it has to very small screws that hold it in
      place.after removing the screw slide the box toward the gas pedal and turn it
      it should have biger numbers 17c476 on it , search that number on e-bay
      and you can find a picture the number on the connector of the box
      is e6eb-14a624-aa that is the coorect part number for my control
      i think the other number is the housing number

hope this helps

20. james87

james87 New Member

City, State:
      walkerton, Va
      Year and Model:
      94 xlt sport 4x4
      Thank you very much for the information. One more question, I have been told by a machanic that you have to take half the dash apart for this. Is this true?

21. Tony H

Tony H Well-Known Member

City, State:
      New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
      Year and Model:
      '91 Eddie Bauer
      Thanks for getting back with the resolution. It's what makes Forums work.

22. ucluglee

ucluglee Member

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT
      I know this thread is stale, but wanted to give the following information.

Yesterday, I took my wipers off to paint them since they were severely faded. I got them done and reattached them. Low and behold, now mine only work on high. So I came here searching and found some great ideas to look at. I also got out my repair manual and discovered there are two relays in the power distro box under the hood. So I wanted to make sure the relays were seated correctly and all of them, not just the wiper ones, were loose. When I presses down on them to make sure they were tight, they all went down about 1/16" to 1/8" inch. Needless to say after that, everything was working correctly.

Now that was the first time I've had the cover off the power box since I bought my 2000 XLT brand new. Just thought I'd share.

23. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      Year and Model:
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      Good information. Probably not a bad idea to add this to the things to check at oil change intervals.

24. ucluglee

ucluglee Member

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT
      Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Now mine have the same "high only" symptom. I'm going to search for this "control box" and when/if I get it out, you can believe I will be snapping photos.

25. ucluglee

ucluglee Member

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT
      So let me ask, for those what have had this problem, was it intermittent? What I am discovering is that yesterday afternoon they only worked on high, and when I turned the switch off, the wipers stopped where ever they were on the windshield. So I went to the store, and on the way home it started sprinkling a little, so out of habit I turned the wipers on, and they worked perfectly. I then had to run another errand, and they were working on high only. Again on the way home, they were working fine again. It almost seems like if they are working fine, they stay that way until the ignition is turned off. Then if I restart to go somewhere, they may start working on high only. Does the wiring for the multifunction switch connect to the ignition switch at all?

26. Drexlin

Drexlin New Member

City, State:
      NJ
      Year and Model:
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT
      Ok, now I feel like an idiot!

My Explorer was having the same issue (wipers only working on High), so I went to a junk yard and picked up the switch/turn signal assembly, assuming it was that. It didn't fix the problem. So, I went back and picked up the wiper motor. Still no go.

Finally, I decided to do some googling and stumbled upon this thread. I checked the relays and voila! There was the issue!

So I decided I needed to register and thank you, even though now I feel like an idiot! :eek: