15-35% mileage increase | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15-35% mileage increase

Man I just read the whole 4 pages of this and it took forever! Anyways, keep us updated on your results for those of you that will keep testing this out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This formula makes perfect sence, one gallon of Acetone (128OZs) costs about 10 bux.
If you use 4 OZ per fillup, my calculations tell me, your MPG savings after using a gallon of acetone, in the cost of Gasoline, will be about 10 bux.
This is a win/win situation:)
I just had my broker buy acetone futures on the commodity market, come on guys, jump on it

aldive how in the hell do u get such great mileage

techieman33 said:
Yeah, while the rest of us are hoping to get 20mpg, al's hoping for 30 plus.

LOL, pretty much, id Love to get atleast 15 in the city, and 18 -20 on freeway

I get about 8-10 in the city and like 12 on the freeway, with intake and flowmaster catback

makes us all jealous.

The next phase of the testing for me will be using 1 fl oz acetone /10 gal gas.

I will be making a 400 mile highway run in a few days.

The fuel will be Amoco 89 and the tune Doug's dyno adjusted 89 max power tune.

1 oz per 10 gals

I just completed a trip to Lancaster PA and decided just before the trip to jump on the bandwagon and give this a try. Vehicle load was 2 adults and the normal road gear that I always carry. The route includes several tolls, hills and was run using climate control. I was unable to do a mileage check to destination and decided that the total trip would make more sense (at least to me) since it was on much less than one full tank of fuel. At the start of my trip. I was filling up with 87 octane Getty. The total distance came to 341 miles. Upon my return I filled the tank to the same point requiring 14.1 gallons. Calculated mileage = 24.2 mpg.

I will be repeating this trip within 2 weeks and will do the same check using 2 ounces of acetone when filling the tank. (I already have a quart of acetone in the house.)

I've been looking into this and I have been told that acetonce destroys the lubricating affects of gas/oil thus creating quite a bit of premature wear to the engine. I had a buddy who ran it in his four stroke motorcycle, very small quantities, about 2 ounces per gallon, and he locked up his engine after about 7,000 miles.

motojoe86 said:
I've been looking into this and I have been told that acetonce destroys the lubricating affects of gas/oil thus creating quite a bit of premature wear to the engine. I had a buddy who ran it in his four stroke motorcycle, very small quantities, about 2 ounces per gallon, and he locked up his engine after about 7,000 miles.

I don't know how many gallons a motorcycle takes, but you're only supposed to use about 2-3 oz per 10 gallons, not per 1 gallon. He used way too much if that was the case. Plus it was a motorcycle so who knows what seized his engine.

To my knowledge, gasoline doesn't offer any lubrication to the engine.

motojoe86 said:
I had a buddy who ran it in his four stroke motorcycle, very small quantities, about 2 ounces per gallon, and he locked up his engine after about 7,000 miles.

That;s a huge amount. The max I am testing is 2 fl oz per 10 gal gas ( your friend;s rate in my truck would be 40 ounces per tank ),

motojoe86 said:
The Jist of the experiment calls for 2oz/10 gals

Rob Slade said:
That's what lead in gas was 30 years ago.

Rob Slade said:
I don't know how many gallons a motorcycle takes, but you're only supposed to use about 2-3 oz per 10 gallons, not per 1 gallon. He used way too much if that was the case. Plus it was a motorcycle so who knows what seized his engine.

Probably the uber high combustion temperatures he was getting.

More results!

My first tank.

214.5 miles 15.009 gal 14.3mpg, all city driving.

Same as without Acetone, maybe even a little less than before.

Moving average per GPS 27.6 mph
Arco 91 octane, Apten (Brian Herron) tune for my mod's listed below
tire pressure 31.5 front 30.5 rear 3.73 gears w/31x10.5 tires.

Second tank;

2oz/10gal
178 miles
11.606 gal Arco 92 octane, 92 performance tune
GPS moving average 31.4 mph
15.33 mpg.
Typical for that driving, a little more freeway than the first tank. I wasn't too gentle with the skinny pedal.

Third tank;
2oz/10gal
247.5 miles
14.234 gal Arco 92 octane, 92 performance tune
GPS moving average 43.6 mph
19.09 mpg
Road trip to the Ocean. half freeway/half 2 lane highway and some very slow driving in town (Long Beach Wa.)
Pretty good mpg but I get my best at 60 mph. Maybe a little better than usual.

Fourth tank;
2oz/10gal
128 miles
5.516 gal Union 76 92 octane, 92 performance tune
GPS moving average 57.8 mph
23.2 mpg!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Return from the beach. All freeway driving.
How the he** did that happen?????
The best I have EVER gotten in the 5 years I've owned my X and recorded the MPG's is 19.95 mpg, I have NEVER broken 20mpg :( (until now! :bounce: )
My tire pressure is still pretty low at 31.5/30.5. I wasn't driving down hill all the way. There wasn't a hurricane behind me giving me a 60 mph tailwind.

3.2 mpg improvement is significant, at least for me :D

Stay tuned kids, I've barely touched that gallon of Acetone in the garage.

Spindlecone, how much have you invested in Acetone futures?? :chug:

aldive said:
The next phase of the testing for me will be using 1 fl oz acetone /10 gal gas.

I will be making a 400 mile highway run in a few days.

The fuel will be Amoco 89 and the tune Doug's dyno adjusted 89 max power tune.

400 miles on I 75. Average speed 71.3 MPH ( via GPS ) Fuel used 13.5 gal ( Amoco 89 filled and refilled at the same pump ) MPG=29.62. Computer tune - Doug's Dyno Tuned 89 program.

This results in a 1.12 MPG increase.

This increase may be due to the dyno optimized computer tune and not in any way related to the acetone. More trials need.

I will be doing a run to Atlanta, GA and then to Charleston, SC, back through Newberry, SC to Atlanta then home in a week. More acetone testing will be done.

Albino 94LTD said:
That's what lead in gas was 30 years ago.

You're right, and basically all it did then was to prevent wear on the exhaust valves and seats, taken care of by going to hardened seats gasoline isn't used for lube in any way that I know of.

ken.

check this site out. good info on acetone ans gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lloyd10977 said:
I just completed a trip to Lancaster PA and decided just before the trip to jump on the bandwagon and give this a try. Vehicle load was 2 adults and the normal road gear that I always carry. The route includes several tolls, hills and was run using climate control. I was unable to do a mileage check to destination and decided that the total trip would make more sense (at least to me) since it was on much less than one full tank of fuel. At the start of my trip. I was filling up with 87 octane Getty. The total distance came to 341 miles. Upon my return I filled the tank to the same point requiring 14.1 gallons. Calculated mileage = 24.2 mpg.

I will be repeating this trip within 2 weeks and will do the same check using 2 ounces of acetone when filling the tank. (I already have a quart of acetone in the house.)
OK. Completed my second trip to Lancaster PA and made certain to follow the same route as my initial control run, same tolls, same driving pattern, same load, same equipment. Aside from 2 additional miles, the only difference in this run was the addition of 1 ounce of Acetone per 10 gallons of 87 octane Getty fuel. Here are my results:
First trip
Miles = 341
Fuel consumed = 14.1 gals.
Calculated mileage = 24.2 mpg

Second trip using 1 oz. Acetone/10 gals
Miles = 343
Fuel consumed = 14.0 gals.
Calculated mileage = 24.5 mpg

Back