Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

4.0 Rebuild Kit

Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
94EddieBauerRock
Champaign, IL
'94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
4.0 Rebuild Kit

I am interested in rebuilding the 4.0L engine in my 94 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Are there any comprehensive kits out there?
94EddieBauerRock is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Maniak
Moderator-Stock 91-94
Vail, Arizona

1992 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
When we rebuilt ours, we didn't find a kit.. It was actually cheaper to buy the sets of gaskets than it was to get an engine gasket set.. especially since we used Ford intake manifold and valve cover gaskets. The ford ones are rubber, all the aftermarket ones were cork..

The only things we didn't change were timing chaing/gears, cam and lifters.. as far as I can remember we replaced everything else...

For rocker arm assemblies and push rods we went through deltacams.. The rest I got through my local parts house (not autozone/checker/murrays etc).

~Mark

Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
94EddieBauerRock
Champaign, IL
'94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks for the info!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Joes4x4Ranger
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
'91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Save yourself the grief and time and get a Motorcraft Long block. I put one in over the summer and now my 91 Runs like a raped ape and gets 18-20 mpg.

The Motorcraft long block wound up being about $300 less than getting all the pieces, parts and machine work. All it took was a weekend to swap out motors. I would have had to wait 2 weeks to get my machine work done.

1991 Explorer XL 4X4, Reman-Motorcraft engine, 2.5 inch lift, Duff extended radius arms, Pro Comp Extended Steel Brake lines, Powertrax No-Slip Front and Rear, Warn Manual hubs, 31 X 10.50 BF Goodrich on Panther 15 X 8's, Overhead console.
Joes4x4Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Maniak
Moderator-Stock 91-94
Vail, Arizona

1992 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Thats another option.. and I would look into it.. We had a spare motor so I just freshened up the spare motor.. (hence no new cam or timing parts)..

~Mark

Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
94EddieBauerRock
Champaign, IL
'94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
That sounds like the best option. Is the long block something I would get from the dealership or can I get it from a place like rhino engines?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Alaskanredneck
Anchorage, AK

96 XLT 4.0 4X4

Vehicle Specs

You would have to get a motorcraft distributor such as the dealership, if you buy one from anywhere else they most likly bought it from the closest dealer or its not a motorcraft. Motorcraft has strict guidlins when it comes to there engines, not so much with there other parts.
Alaskanredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
boggs1227
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd

Vehicle Specs

just wondering ...how much would a long block from ford cost ? does it differ from dealership to dealership or do they all have set prices ?
boggs1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
Blacksheep Josh
Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Statesboro, GA

1993 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes4x4Ranger View Post
I put one in over the summer and now my 91 Runs like a raped ape and gets 18-20 mpg.
wow.... lol

guessing thats a good thing.

1991 Nissan 240sx Drift Pig
"You can hear me when I'm coming" - Yung Joc
Blacksheep Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Joes4x4Ranger
'91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EddieBauerRock View Post
That sounds like the best option. Is the long block something I would get from the dealership or can I get it from a place like rhino engines?
You need to get it from a ford distributor or dealership. I used Van Bortel, they have the best price. Here is there link Van Bortel Ford. Only FORD/MOTORCRAFT authorized dealers and distributors.

Before I got my engine, I did extensive research on all the major engine re-builders I found on the net. NONE could compare with factory rebuilds. Ford has MUCH higher standards and puts all NEW OEM parts in a remanufactured engine.

1991 Explorer XL 4X4, Reman-Motorcraft engine, 2.5 inch lift, Duff extended radius arms, Pro Comp Extended Steel Brake lines, Powertrax No-Slip Front and Rear, Warn Manual hubs, 31 X 10.50 BF Goodrich on Panther 15 X 8's, Overhead console.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #11
Joes4x4Ranger
'91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep Josh View Post
wow.... lol

guessing thats a good thing.
YOU BET!!! It beats the striped ass ape every day.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Joes4x4Ranger
'91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggs1227 View Post
just wondering ...how much would a long block from ford cost ? does it differ from dealership to dealership or do they all have set prices ?
Mine was around $2200 form Van Bortel. Most of the dealers in my area were quoting $2600-$2800. Ironically, the highest quote came from Sanderson Ford in Phoenix, they are the biggest dealer in AZ I figured they would have the best price. Go Figure.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:43 AM   #13
boggs1227
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd

Vehicle Specs

mmm'yeah ....i think that when the time comes i'll just find a low mileage used motor and do a freashing up on it lol ....new gaskets,main seal ,etc...
boggs1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
94EddieBauerRock
Champaign, IL
'94 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
After working on my ex this weekend I think I will be able to put off the engine swap for quite a while. It had some pretty bad carbon knock and was running really rough. I put knew plugs and wires in it (one wire was hanging by a thread of insulation...eek). I also did a seafoam treatment. That helped a lot. While doing the seafoam treatment I found a vacuum leak. It runs like it did when I got it.

Last edited by 94EddieBauerRock; 11-11-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page