How To: Oversize Spare - Stock Location - 33" Will Fit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Oversize Spare - Stock Location - 33" Will Fit

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
This is simple simple simple- The spare tire bracket has a bent down portion in the front- Simply bend it forward and up.

The edges are curved up in the bend for strength- flatten the edges down in the bend, shown circled in the pictures. With these edges flattened down, the bracket will bend forward and upward fairly easily. A pipe wrench or crescent wrench works well.

The spare will just clear the shocks and diff, but it will fit, even with a under the bumper frame hitch. A behind the bumper hitch such as my draw tite that I have now, this will allow a full size spare.

Have a look at the pictures, ask questions if you need to- feel free.

IMG_0112 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0114 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0110 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0111 (Medium).JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Biggest I could ever get was a worn 32" But that is probally because it was a old BFG AT. Very square edges :dunno:

I had a 285/75 R16 under there- about 1/2 tread and a little room to spare.

Jon and others have theirs actually cut off before the bend, but I'd be afraid the rough edge could cut/wear the sidewall of the spare.

will it clear the rear diff at full bump? A leaf sprung rear moves around more then you think, the V8's have traction bars that help, but I think you might keep an eye on that sucker AND use some sort of backup strap to keep it from falling, the factory winch cable is hardly able to retain a 33!

That is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Glad to have found this, been wondering about this because I rather not try to take a tire down off the roof if it needs changed and not as easy for someone to steal when I get a set of 33's

Edit: of course that little winding thing is small and so is the cable, guess I may want to ensure it stays up with a ratchet strap maybe.

Glad to have found this, been wondering about this because I rather not try to take a tire down off the roof if it needs changed and not as easy for someone to steal when I get a set of 33's

Edit: of course that little winding thing is small and so is the cable, guess I may want to ensure it stays up with a ratchet strap maybe.

There is a service bulletin on the cable where they replace it with a stainless steel one.I would assume it would be stronger also.:D

:scratch: would this still fit a 33 if i was SOA? i haven't lifted it yet but i imagine I would have to mount my shocks out wide instead of the sway bar mounts like i want to do.

Lol I did this last week didn't know about the post used it for a 31

I put a draw tite on last weekend and could barely get the stock spare back on. I had to push the spare with my feet while my buddy ran the winch. Maybe I got the wrong hitch?

I put a draw tite on last weekend and could barely get the stock spare back on. I had to push the spare with my feet while my buddy ran the winch. Maybe I got the wrong hitch?

I have a Hidden hitch and the spare barely fits

Cut the tongue and file the edge smooth. If concerned about the spare shifting
and chafing, use rubber padding where it contacts the frame and strap it down.

RearCenterBright1.jpg

Back