• Register Today It's free!

Oil Filter Help

Ricky

Reaction score
City, State
Charles Town,WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport. In my owners manual it says to use a Motorcraft 820S filter. However it looks to have a FL-1A filter on the motor, it's to long to be the 820S. It has the 4.0 SOHC engine. The parts counter guy at Ford said the 820S is just the short version of the FL-1A. So which filter should I use? I'am thinking it's a misprint in the manual since the 4door with the same engine it says to use the FL-1A filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the FL-1A if it fits. The bigger the filter the better. Buy an equivalent at K-Mart or Wal-Mart and save yourself some $$$

By equivalent, I mean Motorcraft, Fram, or Wix, not the local generic filter (next post down is correct. There are some 'equivalents' out there that don't work very well).

Be careful of the "equivalent" filter you buy. There are some very good filters on the market, and a lot of cheap ones that don't do what they claim to do.

I use WIX - Motorcraft are also good.

I say just go all out and get a K&N performance oil filter. they flow a lot better. they probably have one for your truck, just check http://www.knfilters.com/ you should be able to buy them most places......i think theyre supposed to give you better gas mileage(?)

All i can say is DON"T USE FRAM !!(except the TG's and X2's)

they are about the worst filters out there, And their burst pressure is not that high on FRAM.UNLESS you use the TG's (triple guards)

AC-Delco's can also have alot more pressure, so do the K&N's and ofcourse the MC's.

Do yourself and your explorer an favor and don't be cheap in buying stuff like that.

you can get your MC at any walmart or K-mart.

The Motorcraft filters are good. The Purolator filter is supposed to be exactly the same as the Motorcraft. The Motorcraft is a rebadged Purolator Pure One.

All I have heard about the K&N Oil Filter is that it is no better than any other average filter, which ranking it "average" puts it below a Motorcraft/Purolator, AMSOIL, or Mobil filter, for example.

I agree with SpiderGear, avoid FRAM's they are vastly inferior and can release trapped particles back into your crankcase because of a poor quality drainback valve. I'm not sure about the FRAM Triple Guard, they might be decent. Also avoid Pennzoil filters as they are merely rebadged FRAMs. I'd just stick with a Motorcraft, they are among the better filters.

BTW quakerstate are also FRAM filters....just so you know...

Triad fiber technology ..you say WHAT ?.....if you just make an decent quality filter you don't need that technology.

Well I took my FL 820S filter back and got a FL 1A, I'll just check the old filter out when I take it off to make sure it's the right one. It's the original and it's painted gray so it doesn't have the markings on it like the replacement Motorcraft filter. Here is something else, when I took my filter back to Autozone they checkout to see what their computer says, and it comes up standard or metric threads to find out which filter I need. I never heard of this before, I just thought the 820S was a shorter version of the 1A. Anyone know if the threads are different?

Ricky-

What was the outcome of this, I'm in the same situation and can't get any answer from Ford or the dealer. thanks in advance!

My '97 SOHC Sport calls for the FL-1A in my Owner's manual. It is the only filter that has ever been on during it's 78K miles of life here on Earth.

Grab a factory Motorcraft FL1A at Walmart, $2.73

dm

Originally posted by BajaXplorer
Grab a factory Motorcraft FL1A at Walmart, $2.73

dm

I Agree! This is what FORD use's! So why not use it! ITs Cheap enuff! and It did ok in the Oil Filter Study Too!

Originally posted by CBoug76
I Agree! This is what FORD use's! So why not use it! ITs Cheap enuff! and It did ok in the Oil Filter Study Too!

I don't think cheap should be a factor when choosing an oil filter. Performance should be the only factor.

s2kduff,

Mine took the FL-1A oil filter. I was looking in the filter catolog at Wal-Mart and for the 2001 Explorer V6 it said to use the FL-1A for engines without external oil cooling. I don't remember the number for the oil filter if you do have the oil cooler though. This must be something they just came out with in 2001, you must be able to get an optional oil cooler from the factory.

Back