• Register Today It's free!

' 02- What a Pile!!!

Darz

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Exp. XLT Limited
I have a '02 Explorer XLT with the Limited trim package ( 17" wheels, Running Boards, Silver Trim , Fog Lights ), and I have to say this will absolutely be the last Ford product I buy. This is coming from a guy who has had Fords since he was 16 ( 15 years now ). I cannot beleive somone would make such a pile!!! It has a whopping 28000 miles on it now, and the running boards are rusting away ( this is with regular washing & waxing ), the seat belts cut into the B post trim, the aluminum wheels are shedding the clear-coat ( I even wax the darn wheels ), the fabric on the doors is very loose, the seats are already worn badly, it will start very hard after shutting off & starting again ( right away ). The passenger window makes a aweful noise when going up, and the drivers elect. seat moves when you brake. I absolutely fell in love with the looks of the " new " Explorers in 02, but my god do I regret buying one. I think I will try a Yukon next time. Gosh thats really hard to say!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The flat panel beneathe the rear window on my mom's '02 cracked. It was never hit and must have been the weather because it's a perfect crack through the panel. Her sunroof trim on the inside tore apart. The sunroof is extremely noisey, and the airconditioning has a bad smell to it. Apparently the only thing they can do for that is add a deodorizer in it.

Well you bought the 1st year of the 3rd generation Explorer.. Generally Ford's 1st year production of a new model generally has alot of bugs..

sorry to hear that ur truck is having problems, what did the ford dealer ship say about your troubles?

It should still be under warranty, just get it all fixed. Every company has vehicles with more problems than others. A Yukon is a lot bigger than an Explorer too.

The 1st time I took it to the dealer, they said the fabric on the doors will do that, and they could replace it,but it would just happen again. They said the same for the seat belt cutting into the trim. The rust, they claim, is because of normal Wisconsin road salt. That one made me very angry!!! How can they justify a 17 month old vehicle rusting as bad as this one has? They said the clear coat coming off the rims is from the socket hitting the edges of the lug nut holes ( my problem?? ). I called Ford today, and I have an appointment with a different dealer thursday. If they refuse to fix it, I am trading it off for a different brand ( Dodge, Chevy, who knows ). I love the ride this thing has ( independent rear ), but if its going to look like a 10 year old vehicle in a year, why bother. My 97 Ranger looks like brand new, and thats a Ford. What gives? Oh and the dealer said there was nothing showing on the computer that would explain the hard starts, but I cant argue with that one.

everyone's frist year's have some prob's..but all that stuff should be covered under warrenty..

i guess its about time you changed your signature darz, isnt it? sorry to hear about your problems

i think u need to just sit on the dealer untill they fix all the problems wrong with it..since that IS what a warrenty is for..just dont take no for an answer hound them if u have to but by god it all fixed now

if something is rusting tell them they need to seal it..if the rims are flaking tell them they need to replace them...its there problem untill the warrenty up then it is urs..but untill then hound them till they wet there pants

trust my dad worked for ford for like 15 years..and is probably going back in a few months..HOUND THEM

or u could do like one lady did here..she took her pos toyota 4 runner( not saying they are all bad just hers was) and they wouldnt take it back because certain amount of things have to happen in a certain amount of time to call it a lemmon..hers was like 2 months out or something so she painted it yellow put a huge i bought this lemmon from so and so on the abck window and parking it infront of the dealer ship and drove all over town

i think they gave her a new car lol

I used to work in the service dept at a Toyota dealer, and if you have that many items make a complete list, which sounds like you did, go to other dealers which you did, but also you should be able to get in contact w/ the manufacture rep, they have a couple that services each region.. If that fails then go on to the corp head quarters. Also keep tabs on the lemmon law for your state and how the dealership would file these claims, (ie) service is routine, or customer complains.. You have to watch how they write up the reports, I know that's how toyota got outta taking certin cars back. GOOD LUCK,:eek:

its the old phrase

"they don't make stuff like they used too"

You'll have the same problems with any new vehicle, no matter what the make

Thanks all, I will give em heck thursday when I take it in. I just wish they would fix these little things. I like my vehicles to stay ' Mint " for as long as possible. My 97 Ranger looks new, Ive taken very good care of it, washing at least once a week, waxing often, and covering the seats when necessary. Ive had 85000 miles of trouble free driving with that vehicle. I just wish my 02 explorer would stand up to the elements like that. I really just want the running boards, and the wheels replaced, as these are very expensive, and make the vehicle look good. Nothing irks me more than my bowtie buddies ripping on my Ford for the aging wheels, and the rust on the running boards! They cant rip on the Ranger though, its been a great truck.

Any first year production vehicle will have problems. I'd take most of that stuff back before you roll over 36k. I don't know what they'll do about the running boards. But, back in '93 when we had our F150 we went through several sets of wheels because of clear coat rot. Good luck no the less and don't let one vehicle spoil it for you.

I agree with these boys, give 'em hell until you get what you want. Its 17 months old? 28K miles on it? and how much did you pay for it? they should fix this with no problem at all, get pissed and stay on it.

you are going to get a yukon but in you signature it clearly states: "I would still push my Ford vs. drive a Chevy!!!" also you plan on trading it in for another brand? come on, diehard ford guy my butt! i still love ford but becuase it costs too much for me to fix, am junking my explorer and sinking $1500 into my toyota truck that is 20 years old......

I have an '02 I bought at an auction. Other than some rust problems, since the previous owner was from Penn, I have had no problems and I have 45,000 miles on mine, I bought it with 34,000 miles on it.

My mother in law has an '02 also and she has had no problems either, other than the rear AC controler not working.

You probably just got one of "those" trucks that are going to have problems. E-mailing and calling the Ford big wigs is the way to go. On my BMW the dealer was going to try to charge me $500 to put in a new instrument cluster because the pixels on my odometer / tripometer stoped working. On a BMW message board I found out that if I e-mailed the N.A. customer relations person BMW NA would pay for the part and I only had to pay for the labor.

My policy is never buy the first year of a car. I was thinking about getting a 2004 Acura TL. If you read some of the fan sites, there are problems even with that car the first year. You'd think a Honda would be perfect.

Im just kiddin on the buying a Chevy.... Never will happen! It sure gets the messages flying. I will get these problems fixed. I think most of my problems were with a bad dealership. Im trying a different one thursday ( its the one I bought my Ranger from, and where my relatives all buy their Fords ). To a " normal " person, these problems would be no big deal, but I am pretty crazy when it comes to my vehicles. When I spend $$ on things, I like to keep them new as possible. I didnt have a lot of $$ growing up, so anything I have now, I earned it thru HARD work. My mommy & daddy didnt hand me a new vehicle in high school to keep up with the Jones'. I will keep buying Fords of course. I had a 81 F150 as my first vehicle. It had a 300-6, ran for 230,000 miles, until the bcab fell off the cab mounts ( rust ). I then had a 88 Thunderbird turbo coupe, that was a GREAT car. Never had a ounce of trouble with her. I then had a 91 F250 with a 5.7L auto, 8 " skyjacker lift, 35/12.5/16.5 tires, and put 115,000 miles on that w/o a problem besides a u- joint @ 75,000 miles ( what do ya expect with 8" lift? ). So Fords have been great to me. I bought all them used, but my Explorer was NEW, I expected not to have troubles. Oh Well, we will know more tommorrow pm....

Yep, I know I should of waited another year, but I really fell for this one on the lot. We were looking at a dark blue one, came back the next day, and they had a white one, with the silver bottom, 17" alum wheels, running boards, fog lamps, and 3rd row seat, and I decided another 1500. was worth it. Its a beautiful SUV, I love the ride, love the power, just hate dealers that blow ya off, and the small problems Ive had. I cant complain on the powertrain, it does start hard sometimes though, but it will start!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i hated my x for a little bit because of its the first year for the SOHC, we've gone threw a/c compressors from the IAC acting up and then we've gone threw the air intakes seal. But like everyone says the first years are worse, but u know what i love mine now, i did some engine work, which consisted of cleaning the IAC adding a no restrictive air filter and all is good. Everyone once in a while i get a check engine light, i'm gona go check that out sometime, its probly a O2 sensor going which isn't a big deal...all i gotta say is get the sh*t looked at while its under warrente we didn't and it bit us in the bum....All will be well, my rents don't wana buy another ford but they are now looking at the Escapes, so???...lol...hold ur tong and i'm sorry to hear ur problems but get it fixed asap. Hope all goes well man...peace

Back