DRL (Daytime Running Lights) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

I have an XLT and the Fog light work with the switch in the Parking lights mode.
When the fog light switch is pressed to turn them on, they should work with either the parking lights or headlamps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Functionally, the headlights are a much better choice for DRL's....

And I agree completely about folks driving with their fog lights on- very annoying. For that matter, the factory fog lights on many vehicles are mounted too-high to be much more than a styling piece. True fog lights need to be mounted very close to the road surface so that the beam of light shines BELOW the fog layer and you see the light reflected off of objects ahead. As currently mounted, the fog lights illuminate the fog so all you see is brighter fog... Quite annoying, really.
Randy, I don't use my fogs much at all so I just looked at the light they throw out while parked in the garage. At a distance of 7 feet the top edge of the light pattern on the wall is 15 in. from the floor.

I'm not an expert, but I bet that they would work well at that level of cutoff.. if you were driving without the headlights too. I guess my point should have been that the foglights are style pieces because we have to use the regular headlights with them, and the glare from the headlights limits the utility of the fogs in fog. If you are ever in a fog "white-out" and must get somewhere, try using just the fogs to see if you gain some visibility. Or wait it out. All of my advice is given for free and is worth half as much. I'm no professional, so don't sue me if I am wrong or you get hurt. blah blah blah... at your own risk. :)

Hey guys,

I’m sorry I missed this before. The lens needs to be stamped with “DRL” if the lamps can be used as daytime running lights. We do not allow HIDs to be used as DRLs because they don’t have the markings. This is due to US regulations and would be different in Canada.

Cory

Hey guys,

I’m sorry I missed this before. The lens needs to be stamped with “DRL” if the lamps can be used as daytime running lights. We do not allow HIDs to be used as DRLs because they don’t have the markings. This is due to US regulations and would be different in Canada.

Cory
The area that is stamped must not be visible. I checked mine and there is no marking of any kind on the amber lense that I can see. I have the HID lamps and my DRL is amber. So far all the new Explorers I have seen here have the DRL's on the amber parking lights.

Peter

Daytime running lights?

Apologies if this is a dumb question. I've only had this 13 Sport a week. Still trying to figure stuff out....

Is there an option to have daytime running lights? Is this an option you can turn on or off?

Explorers with HID headlights do not have the option to have the headlights function as a DRL. The dealership can change the programming to allow the front amber lights to function as DRL's.

Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

I bought an Explorer Sport this past Monday.

I thought the Federal DOT Rules required DRLs on all new cars. but:

- The Dealer says the Explorers don't have them
- I can't find any reference to them in the Owner's Manual

I have been leaving the headlights on and they shur themselves off after a few minutes when I park the car.

We live out in the country. The two main crops in this area are cabbage and potatoes.

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2968_zpsd542886f.jpg

The roads are full of agricultural equipment and I want them to be able to see me coming before they pull out in front of me.

Although we live on a paved road, there are lots of dirt roads and places to explore.

IMG_2970_zpsd25644db.jpg

Anyone know anything about DRLs on the Explorers?

It is not an option for US explorers, only for Canadian ones due to their law requirements.

I have been leaving the headlights on and they shur themselves off after a few minutes when I park the car.

We live out in the country. The two main crops in this area are cabbage and potatoes.

The roads are full of agricultural equipment and I want them to be able to see me coming before they pull out in front of me.

Although we live on a paved road, there are lots of dirt roads and places to explore.

Anyone know anything about DRLs on the Explorers?[/COLOR][/B]
Welcome aboard Trainman-2. :wavey:
DRL's have been an option on many U.S. vehicles since 1995. Your dealer is mistaken in saying the Explorer doesn't have them. They do have them but they are not activated. As txaggie pointed out, the dealer can program them to come on but it isn't something you can do yourself. If you use the 'search' program for DRL you will find several threads on the subject. I like to use the 'Advanced Search' and then narrow it down to the 2011 - 2014 Discussion thread.
Good luck.

Peter

You can tell your dealer to plug the computer in and turn either the headlights on as DRL or amber lights.

Dealer can connect their laptop computer and enable the DRLs within a few minutes, (that's how long it took for my Limited).
If they say "Duhhhhhhh", show them the link mentioned above.
BTW, they stand out nicely !
:eek:

IMG_2820.jpg

It was a very nice touch Trainman to include those pictures in your post. Looks like a nice place to take a drive. Cheers!
IMG_2968_zpsd542886f.jpg

IMG_2970_zpsd25644db.jpg

Anyone know anything about DRLs on the Explorers?

Thank you,

There is some beautiful country out here!

My Brother and I are both amateur historians and for the last several years we have been working on finding, reopening, and restoring a portion of the original King's Road built by British military engineers in 1769-1771 during the 20 year period when the British owned Florida.

The road was built with slave labor and originally was 16' wide (so two horse drawn wagons could pass) and paved with crushed shell.

The section we are working on includes a causeway through a swamp. Here is a photo of the causeway.

10Oct2010-01.jpg

At the end of the causeway you can still see the pilings from the bridge. We are pretty sure that his bridge was build in the 1860's as it was known to have been burned at the beginning of the Civil War.

DSCN0085.jpg

Here is a portion of the old road that we cleared. Eventually we will re-open it as a hiking/biking trail.

DSCN3022.jpg

We have been spending our time lately battling bureaucrats. You would be amazed at the federal regulations involved in reconstructing/restoring a causeway in a swamp.

But the area out there and the creeks are absolutely beautiful.

DSCN0286.jpg

Mine were turned on from factory (canadian resident), however, I didn't like the fact that it turned the headlights on, once you get into the computer, you can select either the headlights or amber marker lights for DRL operation. The amber lights and standard on HID equipped vehicles of which mine was not, so I simply "tricked" the computer into thinking I have HID's.

Mine were turned on from factory (canadian resident), however, I didn't like the fact that it turned the headlights on, once you get into the computer, you can select either the headlights or amber marker lights for DRL operation. The amber lights and standard on HID equipped vehicles of which mine was not, so I simply "tricked" the computer into thinking I have HID's.
Personally, from a safety aspect, I prefer to have them on the headlights. I think they are much more visible especially when you get those hot summer days when the heat radiates off the road. Also they both remain on when the signal light is used. I was very disappointed to see that the Limited had the DRL on the amber lights.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had mine turned on last year but the dealer charged me $100. I brought the instructions I printed off of this forum to the dealer to be sure they knew how to do it. I like the extra safety they provide. They are the amber parking lights but are on the bright bulb like the turn signals rather than just the lower light setting as when the headlights are on so they are very easy to see. They go off when the car in is "park"

The dealer argued with me that he couldn't turn on the regular headlights and had to do the ambers because they were HID's but mine is the 301a package and doesnt' have HID's. I have never heard of anyone having anything but the amber lights for there DRLs.

Back