1998-2001 Mountaineer Inadequate Roof Rack Fix | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998-2001 Mountaineer Inadequate Roof Rack Fix

Well, lots of pictures. have to take a break from this for a moment.
Once the 1st gen rails are attached to your Mountaineer, find joy in the fact the crossbars are now a lil over 1" too long. oh yay. just what i was hoping for. Otherwise this would be a wrap.

I have 3 of em trimmed, and re fit . 2 more to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, first, the bolt hole pattern does not match, as Don said. Fortunately 2 you have to drill are located on previously machined ovals.Hopefully these pics will give you what you need.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

You have some extra holes to fill. I used some silicone plugs, wedged in real tight then trimmed with a razor. Leave a little exposed so the rail will push it tight.
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG

Now you can screw the rails down. I used my stock mountaineer bolts because the heads were much larger. They just clear the rail gap.

Trimming the bars next------

First, the 97 mountaineer bars.

One end is slotted, or keyed so you cannot get them backward. However, you must lengthen the slot so that is step 1
I used my dremmel tool for this
013.JPG

You need to cut off about 1/2" from each end, so tape em off square with the bottom of the existing holes. (yeah, some has to come off each end or you'll be humping to the side)

014.JPG

015.JPG

Once you have em cut down, and your slot is trimmed to allow the tube to fully seat, take to the truck for a test fit. If all fits well, drill some new holes

019.JPG

The explorer Front, or stationary bar is a bit different. I wanted to flip it end for end to bring the crossbar forward 3" , but ford, in their glorious and infinite wisdom, prevents us from doing this by making each end bolt spacing different. since my tracks are already sealed in I cannot do anything about that.
However, before hand, it might just be possible to swap sides with the front mounting piece to allow the bar flip. It will put the bar at least 3" further forward if you can succeed.

After removing the ends, slide out the rubber top pad. Mark your cut lines as above ( 1/2" off each end) , make your cut and test fit the ends, taking the whole thing to the truck for a test fit. Once it fits. slide both ends back off, slide the rubber pad back in and trim it to length.

Then drill a new hole thru the metal, and a tapper thru the existing metal hole, into the plastic.

020.JPG

Wish I had 4 of these.

Four bars? I could pull some next week... but shipping costs would pry make it a not so good deal...

98 explorer cross bar on left. 97 Mountaineer cross bar on right.

View attachment 98262

My 2000 EB Explorer has the rails like the Mountaineer ones on the right. They both slide forward and back along the tracks. However the one in front is being used to hold my CB antenna cable in place. May have to rethink that to restore the ability to slide it.

I picked up a couple 1x1 bars to add to the rack (thanks for that idea!) to help support my spare when off road. I may use them as a foundation to build my own excursion basket later on.

Four bars? I could pull some next week... but shipping costs would pry make it a not so good deal...
Kent you are awesome for stepping up. I think I better look around here for 2 more though for just that reason. ( already have 2, want 4 )

although, I think 4 crass bars is enough. idunno, what do you guys think?

I give you, a mounty with 1st gen roof rails and 2nd gen cross bars.

Who would have thought the Mounty Rails would be 1" narrower Than an explorer. That means a whole different manufacturing process for the roof.
You learn something every day.

026.JPG

Looks good! I'm on my way to the pick-n-pull to look for some cross bars. Hopefully I can find some that are identical to what I've already got and won't need any modifications.

Looks good! I'm on my way to the pick-n-pull to look for some cross bars. Hopefully I can find some that are identical to what I've already got and won't need any modifications.
you won't you lucky guy. All explorer cross bars should slide right into your rails-
Mountaineers from 98-01 have roof rail bosses welded in 1" narrower and in a different pattern then explorers of the same year range.
to accomodate the mountaineer rack.

I will be looking at a yard this weekend for some stuff. Last time I was there they had a mounty, I will have to see what they got this time.

I will be looking at a yard this weekend for some stuff. Last time I was there they had a mounty, I will have to see what they got this time.

You'll be able to get a better deal on this stuff for sure. I paid 25.00 for this kit.
If you are willing to spend the time. You will need to shorten the bars.

However, while there, look at escape bars. Earlier I mentioned they are 1" shorter.
Escape bars may just very well swap right over to 98-01 mountaineers once the explorer rail is in place.
Bronco 2 bars should also, if the track groove is the same.

Interesting. I better take a tape measure with me to the JY, when I go look at the 98 Mountaineer there.

I actually found 4 crossbars that are identical to the ones I've got. Two of them still have 100% paint on them! I was amazed! But I now have two extras, so if you need some I'll bring them with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually found 4 crossbars that are identical to the ones I've got. Two of them still have 100% paint on them! I was amazed! But I now have two extras, so if you need some I'll bring them with me.
Good find. Those you have are the better looking Explorer cross bars. I'll get a look at those too and see if they would work for my 99.

Back