03 xlt v8, lowered w/ BellTech springs and sways, now front is 2" higher than back.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 xlt v8, lowered w/ BellTech springs and sways, now front is 2" higher than back..

caesarw72

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Last friday I had the belltech springs put in, and front and rear sways. Initially it was wayyy uneven, the rear was dropped all the way and front was high, probably about a 3-4 inch difference. The mechanic said it would settle and even out after a few days, and it has gotten a little better(rear came up an inch or so, and front has dropped about an inch), but its been almost week now and its still too high up front, about an inch and a half higher front than the back. I am having the f/r camber plates put in friday, not sure that will help. Did any of you have trouble like that after getting new springs in? I am thinking the mechanic maybe did something wrong, but I don't know enough about it to be sure. I think it looks bad leaned back, and is a little bouncey up front.

Has anyone seen this? does it even out eventually, and how long does it take? Or is it something that was possible done wrong that I need to correct?

Much thanks,
Caesar

Things done:
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6, K&N intake, custom 3.5" catback exhaust, Belltech lowering springs, Belltech front and rear sways, 20" Eagle Alloy 025's, Grabber UHP 275/20/35 tires. Factory installed Ford rear wing(if thats what its called). 2200w system with custom speaker cab w/2 Eclipse 12's. HID lights. Oh, and I have some clear corners on the way.

Things I am planning to do:
Tinting front to match rear windows. Removing racks and running boards.
Removing hitch with plasma cutter, running exhaust dual out middle.
Chip and electric water pump. Paint calipers, upgrade to R1 racing slotted rotors and pads. Tailights(LED maybe if I can find something of good quality that look right). Billet grill, Aviator mirrors and a paint matched mustang hood scoop.

update: added a couple pics..

camber.jpg

side.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something is not right for sure.

The front looks a little higher then it should be, and the rear maybe a little lower.

maybe someone will chime in.

Is it possible to accidentally put front springs in the back and visa versa.

Good luck getting this taken care of.

ya, it doesn't seem right. Is there a torsion bar like on the 2nd gens that can be adjusted to change the height.. I am doubting there is, but it couldn't hurt asking.. Or is it possible to put some kind of coil spacer to raise the back a tad to match the front? Or is cutting the front springs my only option, and if so, how is it done right?

Thanks
Caesar

went into les shwab to get camber adjustment, alignment. Turns out they dont carry the camber plates needed so I need to order those then have them installed somewhere else, and then they can do the adjustment. They won't install other folks parts. They did adjust the toe about .5 which helped the alignment and tread wear for free.

It turns out with the springs installed the front camber is -.7 and the rear is -2.1. What this means for me is that lowered the front is within spec and doesn't need the plates. The rear does need the plates. From what I have found the rear camber plates are cheaper anyways.

So next step is to order the rears and get them installed then get the camber straightened out.

Here is some helpful inks for folks needing camber plates, it took me some digging to locate these..

26$ per Rear tire for Ingalls camber plate
http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/29700.htm
56$ per Front tire for Ingalls camber plate
http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/29600.htm

79$ for Front Prosuspension camber kit, which is for Both tires
http://www.prosuspension.com/produc...d=266&osCsid=15165d75f673a76fdafb7e485f1977d7
39$ for Rear Prosuspension camber kit, which is for Both tires.
http://www.prosuspension.com/product_info.php?cPath=1091_1096&products_id=267

I am going for the Prosuspension setup, for its adjustability, and lower price. :thumbsup:

As for the ride height, they are saying it can take up to 6 months for the springs to finally settle, and it should get better. So I think the cure for me would be to give it more time. I think every time I look at it its getting better. Does anyone have any other suggestions to even it out faster, as I am more of an instant gratification kinda person.. :scratch:

why do you have to wait for them to settle, I don't get that?
I think all 3rd gens are coil over shocks. I don't know squat about this stuff, but what other choices did you have in spring combination? Maybe a better combo to achieve a even ride height. Next thing your going to hear is to put a couple of sand bags on your engine and it will level out.

Hope some of the more experience guys chime in. I would like to see the solution to this.

I agree. I don't really want to wait to see the results.. I have been parking it face forward down hill to put a little more wait on it. It may be helping, but its still somewhere around 1.5" higher in the front. I am tempted to have the springs cut, if thats possible, or even have them heated up to drop it a little. But heating them up worries me as I dont want it uneven left and right, or be bouncy from soft springs. And both options I worry that when it 'settles'(if thats even true), itll be too low and end up raked and even bottoming out...

Is there a torsion bar or something I can adjust? What if I bought a spring compressor and compressed just a few coils and let it stay compressed for some time, then took it off? Would that help?

Anyhow, any good tips would be real helpful..

Thanks everyone!
Caesar :(

not sure how i didn't see this before.
I am almost positive that they switched the front and rears. The spring do settle but they will settle evenly, not 1" in the rear and 1/2" in the front.
I'd suggest you take it to a speed shop or a place where they do lowering kits regularly and have them look at it to see if they were put on correctly. If they weren't have the shop that install it fix it and pay for the bill that you get from the place you go to, to check.
I hope you understand what i'm trying to say. Thats the best way i can put it.
Best of luck

yup... I bet the springs were put on wrong. front <-> back.

if you're just doing the rear camber adjusters, do them yourself. It's super easy. I've put the ingalls ones in my front and rear suspension.

IF you had the time and a spring compressor (buy/rent) you could go ahead and switch the them yourself.

You could do a side at a time.

That is if the installing shop doesn't want to do it.

Ok, here is an idea. I could raise the back an inch by using a coil spacer. They are about 9$ each, and I would need 2. That way it looks more even, and if it does eventually lower down in the front I could have them removed. It would be less permanent than cutting or heating the springs in front. I am thinking maybe the rear is lower than expected, possibly from the speaker box, and me trying to lower the front is the wrong angle of attacking the problem...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0003419/c-10101

good/bad idea?

Is there an easy way I can tell if they put the springs on wrong, front/back vice versa? The shop that did it is kinda of a back alley shop where they did it for cheap, $250. I didn't even get a receipt.. And they barely spoke english..

IF you had the time and a spring compressor (buy/rent) you could go ahead and switch the them yourself.

You could do a side at a time.

That is if the installing shop doesn't want to do it.
I was going to say that but since he got them put in i'd figure he doesn't know how to do it. Its real easy to do it. I've done it plenty of times and its all the same procedure

Ok, here is an idea. I could raise the back an inch by using a coil spacer. They are about 9$ each, and I would need 2. That way it looks more even, and if it does eventually lower down in the front I could have them removed. It would be less permanent than cutting or heating the springs in front. I am thinking maybe the rear is lower than expected, possibly from the speaker box, and me trying to lower the front is the wrong angle of attacking the problem...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...0003419/c-10101

good/bad idea?

Is there an easy way I can tell if they put the springs on wrong, front/back vice versa? The shop that did it is kinda of a back alley shop where they did it for cheap, $250. I didn't even get a receipt.. And they barely spoke english..
I'd say thats a bad idea. but thats just me. If the rear is sitting lower it means its travel is also less making it more likely for you to bottom out if you have some weight in the back. just my 2 cents

does your speaker box weigh 300lbs?

Don't use spacers. If you do it the right way your going to get the best possible control and ride quality from them springs. If they are swapped, then put then where they belong. Also I think the progression on the springs will be different and will affect ride and control if they are wrong. I am not sure if they are progressive style springs, so I am just putting out possibilities that may help.

Ok, what I think I need to do is have them looked at and see if they are backwards. I want it to ride and drive correctly, and the problems that could arise from them being wrong(f/r) sound bad. You guys are correct, I am not much of a mechanic beyond changing the basics.. I dont have a a lot of funds, a garage and much for tools so I am pretty limited. I don't think I want to go back to the mechanics I went to, as they didn't come across as trustworthy.

Just called Belltech sport. The rep said if the front springs were in the back, it would sit very high. the front ones are more progressive and stiffer than the rears for the engine weight. He said to recheck the installation. Also get your part numbers so we can figure out what springs you have on front and back. He said the part numbers may not be the right one for the truck.

Thanks Trucku!! I looked up the part number from my receipt then went to belltech's site

The springs should be:
3815-001 front
3815-002 rear

I am going to jack my x up later today and see if I can read the #'s off the springs to verify..

kewl..maybe this can finally get figured out.

The tech said if the springs were right the truck should not sit that high in the front.

Your welcome... it took 2 minutes...lol They were very nice people.

So I then went and looked at the springs on my X to verify they are installed right, and they are. My rear springs are 3815-002..

:( I am not sure what to do next. I called Belltech and they are going to give me a call back..

So I then went and looked at the springs on my X to verify they are installed right, and they are. My rear springs are 3815-002..

:( I am not sure what to do next. I called Belltech and they are going to give me a call back..

Where the front ones right too? make sure your invoice matches all the springs. They could have still sent the wrong springs for the front even though invoice points at different part number.

Maybe they just have the wrong springs specified for your truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm the front will be harder to read. I think Ill need to jack it up for that, i crawled around them and it looks like at least while its on the ground the numbers are covered up.. Maybe when its up higher it will release pressure and they will be exposed.. I'll give it a try later today. Thanks for sticking with me on this! :)
:thumbsup:

Back